Topic

Nemo Meta 2P

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Nemo Meta 2P

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Roberto Requena

@rrequena

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Hopefully I'm not repeating an old thread.

Does anyone have this tent yet? They're sold out pretty much everywhere. Before I decide to put in a backorder for one, I was looking for some owner remarks. It looks pretty great, lots of room, only 2.9lbs and who doesn't like green…haha. Anyway, any reviews would be fantastic. Thanks.

Oh, I should ask…would a tent like this Nemo require seam sealing?

Dont Wantto

@longhiker

I posted pretty much these very lines a couple of weeks ago.. not much response. Maybe it'll be different this time around.

Alex Gilman
    BPL Member

@vertigo

Locale: Washington

Rob,

I know Mike on these forums has a Meta 1P.

His review:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=31125

I'm a huge fan of Nemo though I don't have the 2P but I did just camp in a Morpho this weekend as a basecamp for myself GF and dog and took the GoGo LE out further bymyself.

No, the tents DO NOT need to be seam sealed. The seams are taped very much in the same style as an ArcTeryx jacket.

Just took these pics this passed weekend.

Roberto Requena

@rrequena

I'm glad to hear you're a Nemo fan. I've never owned one so I don't have an opinion either way. To be honest this will be the first decent quality tent I buy. I've always bought the Costco special or Walmart crap tent since I've never had to hike with it. I'm split between Nemo and Tarptent, but I think the Meta 2P will be the one I go with.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Take your time deciding.
    Some may consider the new high tech materials too fragile, but:
    Slinylon is what skydivers use for the material for their parachutes.
    Spinnaker and Cuben is what modern high tech sails are made out of.

The demands that are required in these cases are extremely high and can reduce your pack weight significantly if you pay a little extra and reducing weight is your goal.

Alex Gilman
    BPL Member

@vertigo

Locale: Washington

Steven's right. They are surprisingly "strong" for what they are I have to agree. It is common knowledge that UL gear has to be loved and cared for a lot more than mainstream-ish bomber type gear like ArcTeryx packs etc..

You're always typically trading off weight for durability.

To me (and I'm not UL although I hover about a few easily shed lbs away from it) the Nemo line hits a great point between durability, weight and product support.

Wayne Burke
    BPL Member

@three5s

Locale: Bluegrass

Campsaver say's they are in stock & 10% OFF.

Roberto Requena

@rrequena

I did see they had them at Campsaver but I've decided to wait to get it at Mountain Plus Outdoor Gear instead. They have a coupon that takes an extra 10% off their already marked down 10%. It brings the price to $283.00!! The coupon I used was MB10628.

Roberto Requena

@rrequena

Well, I was going to wait and order from a different online retailer for a bit cheaper but I ended up buying from Campsaver.com. They're throwing in a pair of Leki Corklite trekking poles with most tent purchases. I think those are last years model of trekking poles but I don't mind, they're still brand new and worth a few dollars. I should get the tent in a week or so and I'll post some photos and give a brief review of my experience with it.

Brian Craft

@lighterpack

I also purchased the Nemo Meta 2p at mountains plus and got an extra 10% off because of a coupon offer. The total of the tent was 285 but since I live in Canada I had to pay over 60 dollars worth of shipping. I still got the tent for under 350 dollars but I hope I dont have to pay more for import taxes.

Does anyone have it because at mountains plus it said there was a may 12 shipment and im sure some people have got their tent, yet again they probaly havent used it and have nothing to review.

POST IF YOU HAVE THE NEMO META 2P TENT

Roberto Requena

@rrequena

I got my tent a couple days ago and set it up in the back yard. First time was a bit interesting, but it's my own fault for not paying attention. The second time, I had it up in about 4 minutes. The quality is excellent and the design makes the tent extremely sturdy and rigid. Ventilation seems to be quite good, but I'll have to sleep in it for a night to give an actual verdict. I'll post some photos tomorrow if I get a chance. Overall I'm quite happy. I got it at Campsaver.com and they throw in a pair of leki corklite trekking poles with the tent. Well worth it if you need new poles like I did. Hope that gives a bit of info to anyone who was thinking about buying this tent.

Roberto Requena

@rrequena

I thought I would mention that although the tent may weight 2.9 pounds as advertised. When packed the tent actually weighs 3lbs 7ounces. That's more than what I've read online. That is including the Nemo tent pegs and the Nemo waterproof stuff sac. I'm sure a person could get a a lighter stuff sac and knock off a few ounces. I don't think I'll bother though.

Kai Larson
    BPL Member

@kailarson

I have one of these.

The best thing about it is that there is NO SEAM SEALING!!

I'm really tired of tents I have to seal myself.

David Ure

@familyguy

That seems kind of heavy for a single walled shelter that requires trekking poles to set up. Room enough for someone 6'2"?

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

usually those weights don`t include everything it comes with, like not including any of the stuff sacks, the pegs and guy lines.

Roberto Requena

@rrequena

David, there's definitely room for someone 6'2". I'm 6'0" and I have tons of room at my head and feet. The floor length is over 7 feet long so that should offer ample room for people up to about 6'5" although your face might be in a tent wall at more than 6'3" or so.

I weighed out the individual pieces for any hardcores who may be interested.

Tent Pegs (including tiny cord on each peg) – 3.3oz
    Peg Bag – 0.5oz
    Extra rope in Peg Bag – 0.6oz
    Included Nemo Compression Drysack – 2.8oz
    Tent – 48.2oz

Total of 3 lbs, 7.4 oz

I'm not sure if that is heavy or not, but for people who are very weight conscious there are many corners that could be taken to cut weight. I bet I could safely cut 5oz on the tent alone without altering anything important. I suppose that's the tradeoff with the 20D Sil/PU Nylon. The quality is excellent though and I can't see it ripping or being damaged very easily.

What sort of material do Tarptents use? I'm assuming it must be a lighter SilNylon.

I hope this helps anyone interested in this tent.

Chris Roane
    BPL Member

@chrisroane

Locale: North Rockies

I have this tent. I only set it up in my backyard (at this point).

In my setup, I am replacing the included stakes (which are great, but heavy), with titanium stakes (you need 8). I also am using a very light stuff sack (not waterproof). At this point the total weight (including stuff sack and stakes) is right at 3.25 lbs for me. I did not include the extra guy lines.

I do have one question: what appears to be a guy line (in a little bag) at each of the doors. Can I take these out (they can be untied)? I've never needed to guy out a tent, so I don't think I would need these, but I'm not 100% sure on the purpose.

If you have any other ideas on how to lighten the total tent weight, please let me know!

I'm coming from using the kelty gunnison 2.1…which was a great tent, but heavy. I will say that I'm glad to not have to worry about the fly and the tent….I should be able to just stuff this tent into the stuff sack, with stakes, and I'm good.

David Ure

@familyguy

I am definitely looking for some perspective on condensation management on this one….looks promising.

Roberto Requena

@rrequena

Chris, if you're talking about the blue line inside those bags (see my photo), I suppose you don't "need" them but without them the tent will not stay standing very well unless the vestibules are closed. You will lose the option to setup the tent as shown in the photo. That line allows the tent to stay extremely stable with both doors on both vestibules open. I think that's what you're talking about. You could always use the clip on the one side of the vestibule door instead of the blue guy line. This would save a bit of weight but you lose one setup option.Nemo 2p

Chris Roane
    BPL Member

@chrisroane

Thanks Rob! That makes total sense. I assumed that the one door would always have to be clipped (like my other tent), so I will have to take a look at that option.

Roberto Requena

@rrequena

You could always get rid of one side and keep the other. For most people having one entrance is enough. I suppose you would still have two entrances, but one would be easier to use than the other.

What sort of pegs are you using? I was thinking about getting an alternative as well.

Chris Roane
    BPL Member

@chrisroane

I bought the orange titanium stakes at BPL a while ago: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/lazr_hi_vis_ultralight_titanium_tent_stakes.html

They are great, but can be difficult in very hard dirt…but I've always been able to get them into the ground.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I'd keep both for those occasions where you want the extra ventilation on a hot muggy night.

Will Newton
    BPL Member

@newts-2

Took the Meta 2P for an overnight in Shenandoah national park last weekend. I replaced a Losi 2P with it, at a savings of 44oz. Ordered from Campsaver; now my girlfriend has a pair of Leki poles.

I don't have a scale, so I'll go with Rob's weights. Replaced the factory stuffsack with a .7oz Sea to Summit M Ultrasil sack, the factory stakes with 5oz Easton 8" Aluminum stakes, and the guylines and blue pole tension lines with Triptease, all of which may have brought the tent down to Nemo's advertised weight. Used it with my BD Alpine Carbon Cork poles.

Meta 2P in Shenandoah

Setup was a breeze — 4 minutes from sack to unpacking inside. As you can see from the pic, the green of the new 20D OSMO fabric is pretty subtle; it was a good thing our companions had their bright orange Marmot Twilight up or we might not have found our campsite again after walking away to hang a bear bag.

The interior dimensions are absolutely dependent on guyline tension, but once everything's guyed out, it's an impressive amount of space. We got 4 people into the thing to play a board game — so long as everyone's on good terms, it's tight but workable. For sleeping, my large NeoAir and my girlfriend's regular NeoAir fit side by side with ~3" of space to either side. We're both 5'10"; we had at least 10 inches of usable space at the head and foot of the tent while lying down, and our faces were 6" from the tent wall in a centered sleeping position. There is a truly surprising, and comfortable, amount of space inside.

If a guyline loop could be added to the main tent body at the same height as the loops for the vestibule door tiebacks, it might help make the main walls a little more taut. Our site was in northeastern deciduous forest, so very little wind; I worry about that big square of fabric deflecting considerably in a storm.

It was in the mid-70s when we set up camp; got down to 55 during the night rained for about an hour around 2AM — not a drop got through. We slept with both vestibules open, until the breeze started to drive the rain sideways under the vestibule overhang. While there was no condensation with both vestibules closed, after an hour it got pretty close and funky in the tent.

Which brings me to my one major gripe with the Meta — ventilation. The high vents in the vestibule peaks work brilliantly, but only if they're fed from the the low vents. The low head and foot vents, as you can see on Rob's guy line image, are shielded on the outside by a rain flap held open by that center guyline. On the inside, however, the vent is sewn into a series of 4"-wide individual slits which lie flush with the tent wall and don't open easily. If each of the the interior vent slits had a small collapsible velcro prop to hold them open (like the roof vents on a Tenshi), ventilation would be much improved. I suppose something could be rigged using sticks or Q-tips.

Not a thorough test by any means — I still have questions about how this thing will fare in any sort of a wind — but so far, very impressed. I share Alex's high opinion of Nemo's workmanship & customer care; will likely get the Meta 1P for solo outings.

Roberto Requena

@rrequena

Nice review Will. I feel pretty much the same way. I still have yet to sleep in mine, but I'm interested to see how it holds up to two people in mine. I'll be doing a couple trips this summer with some friends and I told a buddy that as long as he doesn't mind a tight fit, he can save weight and sleep in my tent. Should be interesting I guess.

I know what you mean about the inside vents. They really aren't very open and I can see how that could definitely be improved. Either way, I'm glad I got it, it's a bad ass tent as far as I'm concerned. I think I'm going to follow your lead and switch the stakes and stuff sack as well.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools