Topic

Where to buy freeze dried in bulk

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Where to buy freeze dried in bulk

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Where are good sources for buying freeze dried foods from in bulk?

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I get mine from The Epicenter (theepicenter.com). You'll be on their mailing list after your first purchase, which gives you "return customer" special deals. They usually have a killer sale each spring (you just missed it), where you get Mountain House #10 cans for 25 percent off.

Logan K
    BPL Member

@logan

Locale: Florida

The companies I have dealt with in the past (whose names escape me at the moment) had a serious backlog of orders related to limited production.

The lesson I learned and the one I'll pass along is two parts: 1) have a backup source just in case and 2) order well in advance of when you'll need the things.

I eventually got my order in packets rather than #10 cans, but it was nerve wracking with my departure date imminently looming.

Have fun.

Logan

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Do you want individual items or meals?

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

http://www.maryjanesoutpost.org/

Of her food I have tried, it has been excellent, without exception. Also, for what it's worth, besides being an organic farmer, this woman supports and has supported a number of important environmental causes.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

The meals they sell are not freeze dried ;-) They are a combo of FD and dehydrated.

If a person wants components check out http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com and http://www.beprepared.com – Be Prepared also sells the large cans of prepared FD meals as well. I have found them to be a good company.

Be wary of buying from EBay is all……

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I haven't checked this out recently, but I used to buy f.d. food for lots of group backpack trips, maybe 30 years ago when Mountain House was king. As you may know members of the Mormon church believe that they should have six months worth of food stockpiled in their basement for the next Armageddon. As a result, they buy f.d. food, air dehydrated food, bags of wheat, water filters, and all of that stuff. I found a local store that supplied the local Mormon community, and they had all sorts of special deals on a case of M.H. assorted f.d. meat, for example. That was six #10 size cans. Another one was six #2-1/2 size cans. As long as they were sealed cans, they kept. Once I opened a can to transfer it to bags, it would be perfect for about a week or so. Then its flavors and texture would slowly decline.
    –B.G.–

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Sarah is correct. I forgot to mention that Mary Janes food is not all freeze dried but rather a mix (mostly dehydrated). Sorry about that. Regardless, it's still great backpacking food, in my humble opinion.:-)

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Thanks for the links. I checked out the products.

I have a Nesco American Harvest Food Dehydrator with 11 trays that I got for a really good bargain two years ago. Due to time constraints I am far from mastering the process.

I'd hear of the FD foods and buying in bulk.

The other thread about the difference between FD and dehydrated has helped me understand.

I will probably dehydrate some items at home and supplement with individual items bought at the good sites. All I'm asking for is…
    (
    low weight
    low volume
    high calorie
    high nutrition
    )
    +
    (
    just add boiled water
    ready in ten minutes or so
    OR
    ready to eat
    )
    +
    and tastes good

That is all : )

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools