Topic

Changes in Anonymous Posting Policy @ BPL

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Changes in Anonymous Posting Policy @ BPL

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

After a great deal of deliberation and review of comments, both good and bad (my goodness I sound like the USFS or something), we’ve eliminated the ability to post anonymously.

The privilege was abused, it detracted from the quality of the content posted, and in general, it provided a relational barrier between forum posters that is unnecessary.

If you want to post under a screen name, that’s up to you. You will have to either change your BPL Member account name (which could result in delays in order processing due to credit card validation issues), or create a new non-member account.

However, if we find that non-member accounts begin to abuse the privelege of posting here, then we’ll have no choice but to limit postings to BPL member accounts only.

This is a different forum policy, yes. But I’d rather reinforce and support people’s integrity that clutter the forums with a bunch of garbage postings. As for people’s concern for privacy, the choice is entirely up to you whether or not to post here. If disclosing your name is a consideration, then you don’t have to post. There are plenty of public backpacking forums elsewhere where you can post under a screen name.

Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

*applause*

David Bonn

@david_bonn

Locale: North Cascades

Ryan,

Thank you.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Thank You Ryan.

Timothy Chauran

@timchauran

Excellent policy, Ryan, and I’m willing to stake my name that the overwhelming majority of members feel the same way. (And if not, they’ll have to divulge their true identities when the Flame me!)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Good move.

Lest we forget, THE PHOTO UPLOAD OPTION IS AWESOME!

Mister Ultra-light

@mrultralight

Gee thats a shame Mr. Jordan. Your decision goes against all the Internet safety experts who recommend that you never post using your real name or give out personal information on the Internet. Some people do prefer to stay anonymous for common sense (net safety) reasons.

I dont agree with not allowing anonymous posting and it will probably affect my decision to shop from BPL in the future.

Mr. Ultralight

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

And of course, Mr. Ultralight is your real name. The policy doesn’t mitigate against internet security or privacy. Just a way to distinguish one nomme d’plume (should one choose not to use a real name) from another, so a real discourse can happen.

Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

Senor UL – no one disputes a person’s right to conceal their real name – hence aliases and screennames. However, the anonymous posting policy makes it impossible to know “who” you’re talking to – is this someone I’ve interacted with before? Is this someone who has made reasonable comments before? Or is it just some troll making snipey comments from a coward’s vantage? I can’t imagine that anyone will have a problem with you posting as Mr Ultra Light.

Ben

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

What’s in a name? You want annonimity – pick a name.

Let’s assume I don’t make it an obvious fake like Zaphoid Beeblebocks. I could pick ANY realistic-sounding name (i.e. Jonathan Frasier) and you’d still not know who I was. I might even use my real name or my trail name (and I use both – just look at this post), and outside of a very small circle of friends in the long distance hiking community, you’ll still never know who or where I am.

When necessary – say when I buy or sell something at the Gear Swap forum – I may post my email address since BPL does not offer an email or PM function. What I don’t post is my address and phone number. If we need to exchange that info, we’ll do it via email.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools