Topic

Ultralight Tent for Philmont

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ultralight Tent for Philmont

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

Hey guys,

I am going to philmont (OA Trail Crew) in a few months and need a two person tent. The Philmont tents weigh about 5 pounds. I need suggestion… I would like to keep the weight below 1 pound. I woud just hammock it, or tarp it but they wont allow either.

Thanks!

-CS

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I haven't been to Philmont but there are a couple of good articles about it here that mention tents. My understanding was they want you in a completely enclosed tent (no tarps and I wonder if some open ended tarp tents would be approved). I think you would be okay with some kind of single wall tent or tarp tent.
    The Six Moons Designs Haven Tarp comes to mind as a possibility I haven't used it but it looks like it might work for you. I have used a homemade tarptent and like it.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

The only sub 1lb, 2 person tent I know of is the Refuge X.

…Good luck…hee hee

>> oh, and the Hexamid duo?

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Sub one pound for a two person shelter really narrows the field and those who hit that target frequently have long order lead times.

Zpack's Hexamid Twin Tent w/Screen can be ordered June 1 but Joe's shelters have been so popular that he's having trouble keeping up with the work. Philmont will also want you to have more of a floor than in Joe's design.

Mountain Laurel Design's Duomid in cuben is under a pound but current advertised lead time is 6-8 weeks so that's cutting it very close. Also, you'll need to add floor to that.

Gossamergear's Squall Classic is about a pound and a third including stakes floor, netting and line. Add 1.8oz for a front pole if you are not using trekking poles (that can be adjusted to the right length). It is in stock and purchasable at this moment.

I've seen a lot of simple blanket statements about Philmont's requirements but we've found that the best bet for answering Philmont shelter questions is to ask them. We asked about a Golite Shangri-la 4 with not attached MYOG bathtub floor and Mark Anderson (who is Philmont's version of the supreme court when it comes to what is allowed) replied that it's be OK. His reply said that the two most important goals is to have a floor that will keep out pooling and flowing surface water and to separate the campers from the dusty soil and other sources of rodent urine and droppings (which can contain hantavirus, quite bad).

Doug Prosser and Al Geist have reported here being allowed to use shelters which pitch low to the ground and have detached floors.

The next question is bug netting. I think that depends on what you are used to. I've heard folks from skeeter free places complain about mosquitoes at Philmont. Folks from places with mosquito problems claim that Philmont is skeeter free. We left the door bug netting unzipped for most of our July 2007 Philmont trek.

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

Jim,

If I read you right, and take you literally, then one could take just about anything one wanted to, as long as you include a bathtub-floor bug-net inner tent.

For example, the OP could take a 2-person bug tent with a cuben tarp to pitch over it.

Is that likely to be true?

–MV

Frank Steele

@knarfster

Locale: Arizona

As others have said unless you want to spend $500+ and maybe get the shelter in time I think one pound is a little ambitious for a 2 man "tent" for Philmont.

The Duomid (MLD) won't cut it, no floor and it is 26.5 oz with the inner net. You could have your buddy fend for himself (not very scout like) and get something light like a TarpTent Sublite (18.5 oz if you use poles) for yourself. But for two people I recommend a TarpTent Double Rainbow (40 oz with stakes, what my son and I use) for $260, or a Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo (same weight when you add stakes) which has a little more room, and costs $310.

Lastly the Gossamer gear Squall classic is only 28 oz with everything, but is the most expensive @$325, has the smallest vestibule (and only one) and the least amount of room.

I recommend the Double Rainbow over the TT Squall or Cloudburst because of the 2 doors and vestibules. The vestibules are large enough for each person to store their gear out of the rain and its nice to have your own door in the middle of the night.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

The Gossamer Gear 'One' is on that weight and can accomodate two if one of the people is short and both are thin and friendly.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Bob,

The Reader's Digest version of my response:
    1) Philmont has allowed certain people to use less than traditional shelters.
    2) The smart money asks them (with plenty lead time) about other specific shelters. (we asked a few months ago)

But you might have reason to be optimistic while you wait for a reply

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools