Topic

NEW BPL PACK + QUILT POSTED!!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) NEW BPL PACK + QUILT POSTED!!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Well, it's a soft release, no prices or full specs on all the items. What are your initial thoughts/response on the new Absaroka pack and the UL 240 BPL quilt in the Gear Shop?

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Vapr Bivy as well.

Jacob Smith
    BPL Member

@wrongturn

Locale: The Soda

I'm planning on picking up the quilt, but being a south eastern resident of the US, I think the pack is not geared towards our climate. That said, it looks like a great pack for 3 season for the Western part of the country. Should be a great pack for Winter CDT and PCT hikes.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

but being a south eastern resident of the US, I think the pack is not geared towards our climate

Details? I'm in GA but plan on probably picking up a couple to try out.

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

quilt is cool, so is bivy if it weighs in a projected. but not too pumped about the pack. there are many better options in 2lb range. IMO. i mean just get a tried and true vapor trail. its got the removable hipbelt, frame, padded backpanel, large stretchy pockets, probably cheaper too. just my $.02

Jeff Antig

@antig

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The pack looks great–super simple yet comfortable

Jacob Smith
    BPL Member

@wrongturn

Locale: The Soda

From the desciption it seems like it is intended for larger volume gear like synethic quilts and synthetic winter clothing like the BPL line.

I don't find that our winters with the exception of this year's, warrant the need for all synthetic clothing or large loft synthetic quilts, so for me it would simply be too large of a volume pack.

Like I said I believe it would be an excellent choice for those doing harsher winter hiking, and even for those up north on the east coast. This would be a great pack for winter in NY, NH, VT, ME, CT, PA, and MA where you are going to get more snow and wetter conditions.

I am in no way putting the pack down, just simply stating that I don't see the need for such a large dry pack here in the South even in winter.

I will be very interested to see the smaller version when it comes out, and will definetly be grabbing one of the quilts and the bivys.

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

I like the new pack and quilt.

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

I would much rather see the BPL Artic Dry Pack back. Much more innovative.

James McDaniel
    Spectator

@bigearth

Coming from a tall guy. I wonder what the torso sizes it will support. Maybe it's on there and I'm missing it.

ben wood

@benwood

jake, i agree with your statement as i am in the southwest. not really a pack for our needs. if i lived in the areas you mentioned, it may be a good pack. i just think the market is already full with 2lb packs that can hold alot of gear.
    i don't believe that ryan and co. have the BPL store as first priority or they would simply be a cottage manufacturer. don't get me wrong, i like BPL and the community that comes with it, just saying…

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Yes, it's a larger volume pack but keep in mind this version is designed for thru-hikers so it's designed to compete with something more like a ULA Circuit or even the current Jam which has no frame.

Philip Delvoie
    BPL Member

@philipd

Locale: Ontario, Canada

I am looking forward to more details on the quilt.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

I like what I see so far in the new pack. I am not ultralight but have been reducing the weight and volume of my gear and think that dropping down to a 45L pack can save me another 21 oz. From the photos, I couldn't tell if there were attachment points on the straps.

ben wood

@benwood

in the specs, the pack i s much smaller than the circuit, heck, its smaller than any of ULA's packs!
    assuming typical BPL prices, i don't think it will be anything great. it would have to be less $ than the circuit, imo. the BPL pack is 4oz lighter, so that's a plus. the OHM has suspension, larger volume, great compression, more pockets and is lighter.
    as to the vapor trail, the VT is heavier, but it can easily be trimmed down to the same weight, it has similar features and definately cheaper. spec-wise the GG arete is closer to the BPL pack and costs all of $100.
    the gorilla has almost the same volume, toughness, removable hipbelt and frame, much lighter weight, and very well trail tested, plus you can call grant at gossamer gear directly for thoughts, advice, and info.
    this list could go on with SMD, osprey, REI and the like.

i'm not saying its a bad pack, it might be a great pack. my point is just that the market doesn't really need what this pack is offering. going by the price of the nano tarp, i would expect this pack to be well over $200 and i think their are plenty of offerings to match it.

this is just my $0.02 so please don't think its worth more than that-
    ben-

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

The pack seems like a great transitional pack for people moving to UL, and seems very feature-rich for the wt.

That being said, I can't see many of the regulars here replacing the lighter packs they're already carrying for one of these. As competition to ULA's offerings, I think BPL is being smart. ULA is selling like hotcakes.

For my part, I'm constantly finding the Gorilla the perfect size, yet still too heavy for my needs. I can easily carry my gear + a week of food in the summer without compressing my quilt, or my winter gear+week of food with compression.

I just cant see myself ever needing more than 45L. I bought and sold a Starlite because I realized it was useless for me (and not comfortable for my back).

Ed Tyanich
    BPL Member

@runsmtns

I really like the quilt. One of these might end up in my gear collection.

The pack looks nice, but I think I'd prefer the ULA Epic.

The bivy also looks good, but I still prefer my Titanium Goat Omni-Zip bivy.

Just my thoughts.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

That is a beautiful pack. Well designed, well-sewn, solid. Those big side/ front pockets are something innovative… though I'm a little unsure about accessing water bottles while walking. My initial doubts about the pack have dissipated. Looking forward to learning more about it.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Miguel: but be honest, are you even remotely considering buying it? ;)

Recommending it yes. Obviously. ;)

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

If I needed another pack, I'd consider buying, yes. But after cutting away all extraneous gear over the last four months I don't want to get back to gear hoarding. I've only just weaned myself of gear dependence! The withdrawal was simply awful! Late night sweats, chewing my fingernails, banging my head against the walls, sudden cravings for stuff sacks, inexplicable desires to lie down on the floor and measure torso length, etc…

Though shalt not tempt me, Oh Gear Fiend!

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I don't believe I posted this elsewhere yet but I was pleased to find that when I removed the internal frame element and the hipbelt the pack weight drops to 22 oz. (624 g). That's a pretty respectable weight compared to similar frameless options out there. Not to say that the focus of this pack is low weight though. Blasphemy coming from BPL? Maybe.

I'm sure it's obvious to critics that we're not trying to compete with the SUL pack market with this backpack. Bozeman Mountain Works packs were on the forefront of that market some years ago and Backpacking Light packs will enter that market again in the coming year. Durability and lengthy resupply capabilities are what we are currently interested in and this iteration of backpack is going to meet those needs excellently.

Jeff Antig

@antig

Will there be color options for the pack? Or will it be any color I want as long as it's orange?

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

As it is aimed at thru-hikers, does it contain a hydration sleeve/pouch? How about side pockets to hold water bottles? I see those are set as "to be determined (tbd)." Any word on this?

ben wood

@benwood

its not really aimed at thru hikers, no matter what they tell you…
    a thru hiker doesn't want some overly heavy pack with no pockets, and no mesh pocket in the back and low volume. thru hikers usually like low weight packs with mesh pockets to easily see and to dry out tarps and rain jackets. they also like packs that can accomdate big food bags so they can resupply at 10 days if need be, this pack will do neither, i think it may be a perfect pack for some BPL staff to use and thats fine, except that they try to market it to BPL subscribers to cover the design cost. blah blah blah.
    just because its in the BPL shop doesn't mean its a great pack! and you shouldn't be lined up to pay your hard earned cash for a "pre-purchase" (help us recover our design costs) whatev….

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

I'm not sure what thru-hikers you're referring to but the majority of those on the AT still carry traditional gear. They have no idea what tarps are and aren't capable of going 10 days between supply points. The first major resupply point is Mountain Crossings @ Neel Gap and Winton and his staff send home thousands of pounds of gear each year helping the thru-hikers lighten their loads. Last time I was up there the majority of his pack stock was Granite Gear and ULA.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools