Topic

Nylon Taffeta

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Nylon Taffeta

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike Philip

@mphilip

So I went to the local sewing shop and asked if they had any waterproof material…after they finished giving me funny looks they said they had water resistant material…

They have rolls of "Nylon Taffeta", is this waterproof or water resistant? My first bivy I bought was taffeta nylon and I am wondering if its the same and also if it would work for a cheap bivy for my first MYO project?

Also how much does this stuff weigh?

Thanks,

Mike

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"They have rolls of "Nylon Taffeta", is this waterproof or water resistant?"

Typically, the local sewing shop does not specialize in outdoor fabrics and the sales clerks don't know too much about different nylons. Even if they tell you something, it is not guaranteed to be accurate.

There are some nylon taffetas that are most certainly not waterproof or water resistant. Others are, to some degree. Without testing it, you may never know. That's why most of us here who purchase outdoor fabrics tend to purchase them from an online specialty store that knows them and describes them well. The price may be higher or lower, but at least you will know what you are getting.

As a general rule, any taffeta that you purchase locally will not be the best or lightest. However, if your purpose is fairly ordinary, the local taffeta may work.

One local store had "outdoor nylon" and described no further. I purchased one yard, took it home, tested it for waterproofness, and then returned and purchased another ten yards of it. It was good enough, but if I had to do it again, I would likely purchase it online.

–B.G.–

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

BG is dead right. Don't trust local fabric stores. owfinc.com, seattlefabrics.com, thruhiker.com, owareusa.com, raggedmountain.com, therainshed.com, speerhammocks.com, kitebuilder.com, justmakeit.com, are a few sources for suitable fabrics. And they know their stuff.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Vick, when you get to be my age, you might object to the word "dead."

–B.G.–

Mike Philip

@mphilip

Thanks for the info guys, i figured that the stuff at the local shop would not work but it was worth a try.

Regards,

Mike

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

The nylon taffeta in stores tears very easily. It is not rip-stop.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools