Topic

Hammock/Tarp Combo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Hammock/Tarp Combo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I built a Hammock/Tarp combo today.. Quite a few people asked for this setup so I had to deliver… The idea was to make a piece of gear that could be used for two purposes.. Since I already plan to build the hammock I figured I could add 8 tie out points and viola… you get a 9' long x 52" wide solo tarp…

The added versatility only adds an ounce to the weight.. Here are two pictures of the Hammock/Tarp combo set up in A frame bad weather mode. Don't mind all the cord hanging all over the place, I had to set it up quick since it was almost pitch black outside.. I will take more pictures tomorrow with some other setup options…

All the photos with me were taken by propping my camera and using the auto timer… Keep in mind I am 6'2 200lbs…So I am much bigger then most people..

Hammock/Tarp

Hammock/Tarp

Cuben Fiber Hammock Me

Justin Carter
    BPL Member

@orangebananas

Locale: San Francisco East Bay

Looks good.

I would love to see more pictures.

JM Addleman
    Spectator

@jaddleman

Locale: Eastern Sierra

How much does it weigh and what is it made of?

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Killer combo item Lawson! Very cool, reminds me of the Grand Trunk ATHH that came out a few years ago, though much much much lighter.

@ John,

the material is cuben fiber.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

It actually weighs 1/4 as much as the Grand Trunk All Terrain Hammock/Tarp..

Mine 5oz
    Theirs 20oz

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I posted more photos at the top…

Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn

So the photos here are of a tarp approximately 9' by 4'?

Whereas the photos posted on another thread were 9' by 9'? And I know you made a tarp that's 9' by 7', how would that work for hammocking? Because this tarp seems very small in comparison.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Lawson, can you think of a good way to join two of these to use as a big tarp?

A low tech idea might be to just have edge cords inside one long hem, lash them between trees along side each other with a small overlap. and get a bit of parcel tape along the join?

Acronym Esq
    BPL Member

@acronym-esq

Locale: TX

Your cuben tarp/hammock idea is very interesting.

Your chief competitor is probably the Grand Trunk Nano-7. Key similarities are:
    – 48" width
    – 190 g weight
    – $70 msrp

Take a look at the reviews for the Nano-7 at Backpackgeartest.org. One of the recurring gripes is the narrow width.

Another resource (information, feedback, and sales leads) is Hammock Forums.

Any idea how your price point will compare to the Nano-7?

IMHO, most non Hennessy hammock users will have a tarp, so the dual use is really aimed at the people who need a solo tarp and are willing to hang as a 2ndary bonus. Along those lines, I think the tarp conversion should be an option, rather than standard.

I am concerned that the amsteel blue running through a sleeve could cause a slow cutting action that will eventually compromise the sleeve. I like the idea of a biner (Camp Nano is 23g ea) to make the link from the hammock to the hanging line.

A lot of hammock users have their own hanging rig. Perhaps the amsteel could be an option also.

I like your idea of building a bug net accessory. Another accessory to consider is a tarp.

You might want to look at testing the breaking limit of the entire system to be 2x your recommended weight limit.

If you are going to make these available to the public, you should chat with an attorney about corporate insulation from liability, warranties, instructions, warnings, and business plans.

I usually camp more than 20 nights a year. I'd be happy to help you beta test and/or talk to you more about other business related topics.

acronym 5/16/2010 9:01 PM

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

You have made alot of good points worth considering. I will be releasing some more information in the next week or so.

I think its direct competition would be the Grand Trunk AT Hybrid Hammock but as you said, the hammock/tarp is sized similar to the Nano 7. Both have a similar price point.

As you said the Amsteel Blue or any type of thin cord is a concern and I have investigated using the CAMP Nano23 instead but as of now there are several more details that need to be ironed out.

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

It is not responsible to hang hammocks without tree straps…UL if it risks tree damage is a bad choice…There are already too many state parks that prohibit hanging anything from trees…

Pan

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools