Topic

Does UL trickle to your other hobbies?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Does UL trickle to your other hobbies?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Jarrett Lambright
    Spectator

@jlamb

Locale: Western PA

I am really just starting to focus on getting my packweight down, but I am curious if this type of thinking is affecting your other hobbies. I for one really like to mountain bike and road bike, which I probably do more of than backpacking cause of time constraints. Anyway, I now try to look at ways to shave down my hydration pack weight, and only carrying the essentials on my road bike. I bet others are doing the same with their hobbies.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

For me, yes.

I was a traveler before I took up hiking/backpacking. Many of the techniques — selecting light weight gear, wearing wicking, quick-drying apparel, layering, etc. carried well from one to the other.

But it was in hiking that I became much more serious about cutting weight. And once I got accustomed to this mode of thinking, many of the UL techniques then carried back to my traveling!

Last year, I traveled for seven months around the world with just a 28L day pack. It contained everything I needed — and it was never much more than half full.

Mike McHenry

@mtmche2

Jarrett,

I guess weight will always be on the mind after going UL. I think next to backpacking, travel itineraries such as Ben's above are just as suited to an UL mentality. I too am a mountain biker. Perhaps I haven't thought about weight as much since I carry much less gear in my hydration pack than I would on, say, a 3 day backpacking trip.

On a side note, maybe I will send you a PM. I would be interested in knowing some of the MTB trails out your way as I am from the east side of Cleveland. I have heard that there are some great MTB trails east of me, but have never had anyone to ride with.

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

Hi Jarrett,

I took up vets road bike racing last year after purchasing a new CF Giant roadie I saved 2kg and as funds became available I got the lightest gear that I could afford, lighter tires, tubes, pedals, shoes, bottle cage, bottles, spare tube and storage bag, bike pump all up I saved about a kilo and most of that was from rotation weight.

If I had unlimited funds I could save a lot more weight.

All of this was from being a student of UL backpacking.

Tony

Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

Locale: Louisville - KY

I do fly alot of UL radio control airplanes and helicopters. I have a number of planes that are fully functional 3 or 4 channel models that are well under 1 oz, complete with motor, reciever, battery and all.My collection

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

UL MTBiking was first, then it trickled into backpacking.

This is my 18.63 pound Turner Nitrous

Build specs can be found here!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Very nice toys!! I am so jealous…

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I ride a recumbent tricycle. A lot of the people I ride with add a lot of junk to their trikes, taking what might be a 30lb machine up to double that. I keep mine light and carry little with me. I learned a lot about what to eat and drink to maintain my energy and hydration over long distances with little weight. I use what I've learned when riding my trike. I completed a 50 miler last weekend and even though it was only the 4th time I rode my trike all year, I'm pretty sure I could have done the 75 mile ride instead.

As for other hobbies? Well, I've got a sewing machine now. You can guess the things I want to sew with it.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

UL isn't a hobby. It's more of a way of life.

–B.G.–

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

My trail runs have become a whole lot lighter and minimalist in nature. So I suppose in some small way, yes, it does. Not exactly a methodical and deliberate decision as decreasing my pack weight/items has been over the last few years.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"UL isn't a hobby. It's more of a way of life.

–B.G.–

I've seen pics of various members' gear closets (and even gear rooms), Bob. I wouldn't make that an automatic assumption.

D S
    BPL Member

@onthecouchagain

Locale: Sunny SoCal

Diving is a gear intensive sport and of course you are on life-support equipment BUT in can be done.

Pick one activity for the dive and stick to it—saw a guy enter the water with a video camera, spear gun, lobster bag and gauge! I can only imagine what that dive might have been like.

mantra…'less is more' 'less is more'….repeat

James Naphas
    BPL Member

@naphas13

Locale: SoCal

UL backpackers have nothing on gram wienie roadies. Like in backpacking, I'm more of a lightweight than UL in cycling, but I do have a 15.5 lb 58cm bike (including pedals) that I built up myself. Though I didn't go for the Ti bolts, there are a bunch of carbon fiber bits to go along with the frame. I could get it down below 15 lbs if I were to spend a couple grand on CF wheels, but that really isn't a priority.

As in backpacking, there is a trade-off to some degree between weight and durability.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Professionally, I design houses with small footprints and UL environmental impact.

This recent home has very pleasant interior earthen plaster walls. Most of the materials were sourced on-sight or in the immediate neighborhood:
    Earthen Plaster

Lee Fitler

@tdilf

My weight weenie-ism started with biking too – mountain and road. I was already backpacking then too but the weight thing wasn't a focus like it is now. More of a way of life for everything now. You should see my new kayak paddle.

BTW – nice rig Bender, anyone who is on light-bikes is serious.

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

BTW – nice rig Bender, anyone who is on light-bikes is serious.

Thanks tdilf :)

I'm about to drop another 1/4 pound or so with a Cannondale Hollowgram SL crankset! I would love to have this bike under 18 pounds.

Speaking of RC & light weight I made this 6.6g 2 channel RC air plane out of aero ace & picco z parts.

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

I am starting to do some bike touring. I'm delighted to find that not only the philosophy, but the very equipment (tent, sleep setup, stove, etc.) can be transferred directly from lightweight backpacking to lightweight touring.

That said, I've been surprised by how many bike-tour folks are not even considering going more lightweight. They load their bikes like a Clydesdale workhorse – and then insist that I, too, will end up that way if I am serious. Some people even tell me to get a heavier bike! (…of course, the heavier bike is to carry the heavier load…)

The 'heavy packing' philosophy seems even more entrenched in the bike touring community than in the backpacking community.

Elizabeth

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Elizabeth, check out bikepacking.net ;)

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

Wow. Great site. But it's all about mountain biking. Is there a road biking equivalent?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Put the same stuff on a road bike?

Michael Meiser

@mmeiser

Locale: Michigan

you asked about ultralight road bike touring:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/ultralightbiking/

My setup is down to about 30lbs

A recent pic, but not very good.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmeiser2/4570910405/

A pic from back in early spring with my cold weather bag and gear
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmeiser2/4422555632/

A pic of my new off road touring toy:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmeiser2/sets/72157623954115921/

Also want to second the yahoo group and bikepacking.net mentioned above.

Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

Even the car i drive is ultralight –car

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

Yeah but it could be lighter:

Smart Car

Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

I acturall test drove a smart car and the leg and head room was amazing, but very little storage. At least with my Yaris i have a back seat, and can fold down the split seat to have room for my Great Dane to lay. And it still gets 35mpg even when towing my teardrop camper.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools