Topic

Molasses

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I like a bit of molasses to flavor my morning oatmeal and other things. Typically it is only a half spoonful, but that adds up over a lot of meals.

Is there any easy way to dehydrate that with a food dehydrator? Or do I need to cook it? So far, all I get is hot molasses.

I am striving to drive out all of the water and leave just some brown or black chips remaining.

–B.G.–

JJ Mathes

@jmathes

Locale: Southeast US

Bob- I bought granulated molasses at Whole Foods

Yumm

JM Addleman
    Spectator

@jaddleman

Locale: Eastern Sierra

I'll have to look out for that, J. Bob, there are also some raw cane sweeteners, like rapadura, that have that similar taste.

Myself, I'm also going to try to dehydrate honey… could be messy!

Anonymous
    Inactive

maple sugar is another deeelishus substitute for molasses.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Yep! I have bought granulated as well!
    http://packitgourmet.com/Molasses-Powder-p215.html

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

You can buy powdered honey! Often found in Asian grocery stores….

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

So, it seems that there is no easy way to make molasses pellets.

–B.G.–

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

JJ, I just went to the nearest Whole Foods store, and they had no idea what I was talking about.

I think I will just try to cook some molasses and see what kind of pellets I get.

–B.G.–

JJ Mathes

@jmathes

Locale: Southeast US

Bob- sorry about that, I live in Atlanta, maybe it's a regional thing. So, I did a quick search for you and look what I found…

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=molasses+powder&tag=yahhyd-20&index=aps&hvadid=17749994511&ref=pd_sl_4pwdrurh1x_b

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

JJ, you probably need granulated molasses to go over your instant grits.

I managed to dehydrate my normal molasses to a soft ball state, then I rolled the balls in brown sugar. Now I have dime-sized molasses balls that don't stick together much.

–B.G.–

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Dark brown blocks of sweet goodness they call tapa de dulce when I was growing up in C.R. is what you want Bob.

Can be found in latin markets(dark more molasses kind), and indian markets(lighter more cane syrupy type) cheap!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panela
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaggery

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

They look like big blocks of brown sugar.

Brown sugar is easy. I'm just trying to get more into the flavor part of molasses and less into the sugar part.

I've been to one historic sugar cane mill in Hawaii, so I kind of know what to expect.

You should package some of that and sell it to backpackers as Nectar of the Gods.

–B.G.–

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

No Bob, the dark brown variety tastes like molasses, but you don't have to take my word for it. Actually, it tastes more unique than molasses.. *shrug*

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

You can't refuse a man his molasses-flavored oatmeal in the morning. Not tapa de dulce, not honey, not plain sugar.

Besides, I don't want to have to move to Central America to feed my new habit.

–B.G.–

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Haha, fair enough Bob. Honestly, molasses is it's own beast, and IMHO, a vice worthy of it's disturbing affectation.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools