Topic

Goddard Canyon to Evolution Basin

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Goddard Canyon to Evolution Basin

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

I'd like to do a loop in which I go off-trail from Goddard Canyon into Evolution Basin. Looking at Tom Harrison's Bishop Pass map, it looks like I could leave the trail in Goddard Canyon and follow North Goddard Creek to Davis Lake, then go over a small pass to Wanda Lake in the other basin. For those with off-trail experience in the Sierras, what do you think? Also, would one direction be better than the other? Thanks in advance.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Casey, your route is as good as any.

Last time that I was up there, we went from Goddard Canyon around Mount Goddard the other way (counterclockwise) and camped at a small lake (12260') on the southeast side of Goddard, which lined us up on the easy summit route. Then we cut east over toward Muir Pass. I guess it just depends on your priorities.

–B.G.–

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

The easiest route is to go from the outlet of Wanda Lake to the upper end of the Davis Lake basin over the notch south of Mt 12290. Easy in either direction.

You can also over the notch between Mt 12290 and Mt 12258 NE of Davis Lake and drop N into the McGee Lakes basin or W/SW down to the Wanda Lake outlook. On this route you'll encounter some class 2 scrambling on the slopes above Davis Lake.

Great off trail area.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Bob and Richard,

Thanks for the info. Richard, what map are you looking at? My Tom Harrison map doesn't have the peaks designated as your describing.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I use the USGS 1:24000 topo map on the National Geographic disk. The advantage of using the electronic map is that you can electronically edit and annotate the map, and then print it out with trail lines added. Of course, in this region, you run out of real trails (and that is the point!).

To find my Tom Harrison map, I would have to go on an archeological dig in my equipment room. I quit using it years ago.

–B.G.–

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have a set of old 15 min quads that I use for detailed work (Mt Goddard in this case). On the paper quad I see two peaks w 12258 between the two peaks with Pk 12290 much closer to Wanda Lake. On my National Geographic topo map the peaks are W to E Pk 12230 and unspecified and 12262 above Wanda Lk.

I could try to send you a pdf of the area in question if you'd like.

Anonymous
    Inactive

" For those with off-trail experience in the Sierras, what do you think? Also, would one direction be better than the other? Thanks in advance."

I've done that route. IMO, you'd be a lot better off going in over the low pass just west of Wanda Lake into Davis Lakes and dropping down North Goddard Creek. It's a beautiful hike, but it would be a real hump ascending North Goddard Creek. Whichever direction you choose, remember to stay on the north shore of the Davis Lake chain. There's a cliff band blocking the south side just before you come to the outlet that becomes North Goddard Creek.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Richard,

It would be awesome if you could send me a pdf. My email address is clbowden at yahoo dot com.

Thanks!

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Thanks Tom,

When I wrote the original post you are one of the people that I hoped would respond.

Anonymous
    Inactive

My pleasure, Casey.

A couple of other details that might be helpful: The Tom Harrison Bishop Pass map should be all you need for this route; The low pass into the Davis Lakes Basin is pretty obvious – it's due west of the little peninsula that juts out into Wanda Lake from the west shore. If you go east to west, when the terrain starts to flatten out as you near the confluence of North Goddard Creek and the South Fork of the San Joaquin, be on the lookout for a log crossing. It's much easier than wading, especially if the water is high. At that point, you'll see the Goddard Canyon trail just on the other side of the stream.

Almost forgot one other thing: Even though the pass into Davis Lakes Basin is very low angle, be careful. There is a lot of very loose rock, much of it sharp edged. Easy to get complacent and take a winger.

I hope you have a great trip. You've chosen a very nice route.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools