Topic

Need help with Weekend trip in VA

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Need help with Weekend trip in VA

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    larry polley

@lpolley

My son (15) and I are looking for a good 3 to 4 day hike in Virgina in July. Looking for about 25 to 30 miles. Would like to include McAfee Knob if possible and also follow the AT some. Anyone have a good loop that we can take (with mileage) or know of a trail we can follow? If we do a stright shot trail, I would need help with a place to park and any possible means to return to my car. Any help will be appreciated. I can do further research once some preliminary informatiin is provided. Thanks

Chad Roberts
    BPL Member

@carobe

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Virginia's not really known for long backcountry loop trails. The closest thing that comes to mind would be in the Mt. Rogers/Grayson Highlands area a couple hours SW of McAfee's Knob.

Where are you coming in from, and I'll try and suggest some closer places?

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

This site might be helpful.

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Larry, take a look at the Wild Oak National Recreation Trail, which abuts Ramsey's Draft Wilderness near Staunton, VA.

larry polley

@lpolley

I am coming from Kentucky. Thanks for the helpful information.

larry polley

@lpolley

Any thoughts from anyone on doing the Mount Rogers Backpack trail (20 miles) in two days and then picking up the McAfee Knob trail for the one day hike up and back. What is the approximate distance between the two hikes???

Anyone with thoughts on if this would make any sense, or is the distance between hikes to far.

As always appreciate the great help and I will continue to figure out a game plan.

Thanks,
    Larry

Chad Roberts
    BPL Member

@carobe

That sounds like a good mix, and you'll get to see two very different parts of Virginia. It's about a 2.5 hour drive between the two locations (~130 miles according to Google Maps).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools