Topic

Caldera Keg – EZ Oven

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Caldera Keg – EZ Oven

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Krainak

@mangathan

Just got back from a trip where I tested out a pretty simple oven idea for my Caldera Keg F.

The oven itself is a Ortega Enchilada Sauce can wrapped with 3 wrist bands. Layering the wristbands, allows the can to sit perfectly within the rim of the Fosters can. I safety cut the lid, which remains on during baking. I also wrap the top in foil while cooking.

Enchilada can

I used my MBD Bongo Pro for continuous fuel, but you could probably refuel whatever other stove works with the cone.

The recipe itself:

3.2 oz of just add water muffin mix
    1/4 c. h2o for the mix (little more/less to get the right consistency)
    1.5 c. in the Fosters pot

Pour water into Fosters pot, turn on the heat and place into cone.

Mix the water and muffin mix in a baggie and squeeze into the oven can.

Place the oven securely into the rim of the fosters can. Again, you can adjust the wristbands to form a good seal. Put the lid on the oven can and wrap with foil.

Place the cozy around the Fosters pot.

I usually give it about 35mins from the moment I turn the heat on. Be sure you have steam the entire time. Take the can out of the fosters pot and knock it upside down against a clean surface. Eat.

Muffin

Worked very well for lemon poppy, banana nut and even buttermilk biscuits.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Nice! What else have you "baked" with it?

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

Locale: Germany

Please can you make some more detailed photos of the oven.
    best regards
    benjamin

Jonathan Krainak

@mangathan

I'll try and take some more descriptive pics this wknd, going to try cornbread. My guess is that just about any "just add water" mix would do fine.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I have performed baking on the trail using a variety of oven tools. Steam bakers create a very soft bread, so bread dough could be a little on the dry side and get good results. Convection bakers will hard-bake better, but that's a lot more gear to haul around. A hobo baker uses a simple smooth steel can covered by aluminum foil.

In some parts of the Himalayan Range, people just mix up their dough and mold it around a smooth river rock that has been pre-warmed in the campfire. Then they throw it back into the campfire. Chip a little of the excess carbon off the outside, and your bread is ready.
    –B.G.–

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools