Topic

not sure if they’ve been posted before…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery not sure if they’ve been posted before…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

Just received these in an email… something to think about when you’re doing your bear hang.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Haven’t seen them. Thanks for posting them.

Saw a 30 minute outdoor program, Sunday at noon on CBS. Think it was sponsored by EMS, but not sure (plenty of EMS logo to be seen, but also a Eureka tent). It was about camping in the Adirondacks in New York state and the fact that certain areas now require bear canisters.

Anyways, as he was hanging a bear bag, the experienced guide was explaining to the folks he was taking out into the woods that he always uses black line so that the bears can’t notice the black line (i assume because at night it’s dark and there is very little contrast between the dark of night and the black line). What do y’all think about this? Black line vs. white spectra???

Peter McDonough
    Spectator

@crazypete

Locale: Above the Divided Line

I think its a load of malarkey. Bears have poor vision and a great sense of smell. I doubt the color of the line makes that much differance. And what about the color of the bag??

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

His bag was dark colored also.

kai dozier

@kaidozier

i live in deep woods of central va. Hang a “WIld Bill” (shocking to squirrels) birdfeeder on a steel pipe, cantilevered from two trees at 10′ off the ground. Cable runs from feeder diagonally to side of tree so I can lower it. Bears who occasionally come through quickly learned to whack the cable, crashing the whole setup to the ground and rewarding them with dinner. Solution was to run cable horizontally to tree, then down side of tree. So far it’s working, and seems it would for any bear not smart enoughto climb tree and reach out to break pipe (or whatever is used to hang the canister in your case).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools