Topic

Gila NF gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Gila NF gear list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

hello all,
    i am planning a trip to the Gila NF in may. going by mike c! here are the four things you nee to know
    1)i am not solo, there will be 2 of us, hence the shared shelter

2) location Gila NF

3)average highs 75 average lows 31. don't know the forecast yet, possibly rainy.

4)trip length four days

go to my profile to see the list as i loaded it in PDF format. i think this is correct?

please be brutal, you won't hurt my feelings.

Christopher Konsowitz
    Spectator

@thekonz

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Nalgeen Canteen- why not another platy? save .4 oz

EOS headlamp- Lighter headlamp or pulsar ~2 oz

Wet Wipes??- micro dropper of purrel- 1.25 oz

Sweater is a little heavy- 2-4 oz

Asics socks carried- don't need save 1.3 oz

total ~7-8 oz

What about Dental?

why not swap towell for bandanna. Bandanna has more uses, but it's all personal choice at the end of the day.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Ben Wood's Gila NF Gear List (May 2010)

1. Pata Down Sweater (-12.2oz)- still think you could nix it. Pata wool zip + Mica should be good down to 40's. If you're only using shorts for your lower then why so much insulation for your upper? Throw that Pata Down sweater on and you're good down to the teens! A tad overkill for the 6000-8000ft elevations of the Gila in May.

2. Baselayer tights (+4-6oz.)- IMO, you're still going to need some insulation for your legs, @ least a Capilene 1 or 2 equivalent. Early morning/evening camp chores and lounging will be much more comfortable. There's a really good chance that if you're crossing the Gila River over and over, which you will if you head up the West or Middle Forks, that your shorts will be completely soaked when you get to camp and having a dry pair of lightweight insulation for your legs will be welcomed.

3. MSR Nano Towel (-1oz.)- I'm gonna have to agree with the above post, NIX the MSR Nano towel and just use a bandanna. Packtowels just get dirty and stay dirty, don't absorb moisture as well as they should, and they don't dry very fast. A cotton bandanna is all you need for drying your feet, wiping sweat from your brow, blowing your nose, cleaning your pot, compressing a wound, swiping dirt from your shelter stakes, cooling your head, etc….

4. Asics Socks (-1.3oz.) – Lose the 2nd pair of trail socks. Both pairs are gonna get wet, dirty and nasty early in the day, no sense in carrying two more of those around.

5. Liner Gloves- Keeping the chill off your fingertips in the morning before you start cooking, grabbing your pot off the cone, early morning starts, all reasons to consider bringing a lightweight pair of gloves. 30's and 40's at night and in the mornings I think is appropriate.

5. Tinder Tabs- (-.3oz.)- Come on dude, you and I both know how much dry organic combustible material exists in the Gila! You could start a fire just by thinking about it. NIX the tinder tabs.

6. First Aid- 1.1oz. is still slim, I think you're skimping on essentials you should have for a 4day trip. Don't try and cut weight here necessarily.

7. TiTri stakes- I'm not sure if your Squall has shepherds hook stakes, but if it does, then NIX the 2 stakes with this kit and use your shelters stakes.

8. Trekking poles- Don't forget to add this to your Essentials/Other items.

9. iPod + Candle Lantern- No iPod or Candle Lantern this time around? If so, it goes in the Essential/Other Items category.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools