Topic

Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael Morton

@mortonm

I am Just getting back into backpacking, when I was younger I did quite a bit of camping with scouts and the family, but that is a beast of a different nature.

Me and my girlfriend have accumulated some gear and are hoping to make 2 or 3 outings this year, including a 6-7 day trip through parts of the La Cloche Silhouette Trail.

The weights are in grams, and then (pounds, decimal)

MEC IBEX 80 Pack__ 3000__ (6.6)
    MEC Tarn 3 Tent__ 1700__ (3.75)
    Sleeping bag__ 1200__ (2.64)
    Therma rest__ 1000__ (2.2)
    GSI Dualist Pot Set__ 587__ (1.29)
    MSR pocket rocket__ 85__ (0.187)
    fuel canister__ 225__ (0.495)
    leatherman wave__ 241__ (0.530)
    Brunton lighter__ 45__ (0.099)
    Head light__ 85__ (0.187)
    Katadyn Vario Filter__ 425__ (0.935)

Total__ 8593__ (18.90)

Take a look at my list, and provide some feedback. Keep in mind the tent will be split between two people, so I split the weight in half. This list does not include any food or clothing as of yet, just some of the essentials that will be brought along most trips

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

Michael,

You will find very shortly, because you asked for it, that your list is quite heavy for the group you are seeking advice from.

Your backpack is heavier than what most people would carry for a shelter, backpack, sleeping bag, etc.

My suggestion is to look at a lot of the gear lists posted on this Forum and you will get a better idea of what people on this site do to keep their pack weights down.

Scott

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Yikes! This is a list for "traditional" camping.

Remember – You are asking for advice on a Light-Weight camping forum. It will be hard to give much advice on that list.

None of the items are actually suited for "lightweight" backpacking.

Please review my list for a good starting point:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/forums/gear_lists/80a5cd1800fbac69c35fad3f320f5461.pdf

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Just as an example, my backpack, tent, sleeping bag and pad all together weigh less than your backpack alone. And my pack weight (base weight without food, fuel, water is 14-15 lbs/16.8 kg) is, I believe, one of the heavier ones on this forum!

You'll find lots of ideas here for lightening your load, and you'll enjoy your backpacking a lot more! You might want to start with this article: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00034.html

It's relatively old, yes, but the advice is still good!

Edit: More good articles on lightening up here, listed in the left hand column: http://www.backpacking.net/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools