Topic

Bug net repair

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

Locale: Western Massachusetts

I took a trip last night with my dog, some friends, and their dogs. The last trip I took with my dog he did pretty well, but apparently the excitement of having other dogs along was too much for him to handle. At about 4 AM, he decided he wanted to play with the other dogs so much that he bolted out of my Tarptent — right through the bug mesh at the foot end of it.

Along with my bad mood, I now have a dog-sized, t-shaped hole in the mesh. What's the best way to repair this? Should I just sew it back together? Make a patch? Send it back to Henry Shires and pay him for repairs?

Thanks for any and all tips.

Time to take the dog back to the shelter.

(kidding)

(barely)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

If the mesh material is all there and you don't care about aesthetics, then just take needle and thread and sew the piece back on. Very, very easy to do.

OTOH, if it's all one big hell of a mess and/or you care about good looks, then yes, Send it back to Henry Shires and pay him for repairs. Henry charges very reasonably.

Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

Locale: Western Massachusetts

I don't care about aesthetics, but upon closer inspection, there's one spot that's going to be a bit of an issue to clean up. It's got a couple of smaller rips and holes in one area that will be hard to piece back together. I'll try it out on my own and if it doesn't come out well, I'll e-mail Henry for an estimate.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I'd just sew a piece of noseeum netting over the areas which can't be stitched back together easily. Use good polyester thread such as Gutermann.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools