Topic

Does anyone live in or near St. George, UT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Does anyone live in or near St. George, UT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

Locale: Morrison, CO

im going to be doing a weeklong bike/backpacking trip, and i need a legal place to leave my car for the week where i know it'll be safe. the trip will be out of st. george, and if anyone would be willing to help out, i would be very grateful. The car is a clunker, so im not too worried about it getting broken into, i just don't want to come back to an empty parking space because it got towed.

please let me know if you can help me out. i'd be happy to get you a 6 pack when i finish off the trip.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I live in the gizz. But I can't directly help. I don't have a car, and my apartment's parking spaces are filled with housemate's cars. Just a week though? We leave our cars unmoved on the street all the time. Once I got a sticker on my windshield saying that it'd be towed in four days if it wasn't moved. I saw the sticker a week after it'd been put there. I've known friends who have also gotten the sticker, but we're pretty sure that our houses are known by the police. Generally lots of young bearded types with out of state plates… No one has been towed, one car sat for four months! If you're willing to try this, I'd park in a neighborhood outside of the central area. Another option would be to park at a hotel. I'm pretty sure that the hotels that are connected with the airport shuttles (knight's inn, howard johnson) allow parking in their lots by non-guests and have a system where you pay a little per day and they don't tow you.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

You could probably park at the airport too…

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

You could get arrested there and they'll park your car for free. (until you want to get it out) It'll be safe, though…

Trust me;)

BTW- the jail there is lovely.

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

but…. i think it would put a cramp in my plans.

if anyone else is in the area, let me know.

also, if there is someone that could help me get a walk-in permit for the west rim of zion on thursday, may 27th, i would be eternally grateful. all the online permits for the 28th are taken, and the only way to get one for the 28th is to be at the visitor center on the 27th.

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I've had this problem several times. Here are two solutions.

1. Call the St George Police Dept and ask them for advice. (In Bishop CA the police asked me to park immediately behind the police station and leave the car info at the front desk; then, as all nice police departments ought to do, they kept an eye on the car for me. Other police departments I've called have been entirely unhelpful, but worth a try.)

2. Walmart. They have a corporate policy of allowing long multi-day parking in their lots. Call and ask the manager at the local store to confirm. I've done this twice and they've been very cooperative.

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

Thanks. those are great ideas. I'll try the police first since that's probably the best idea.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools