Topic

Which Stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Which Stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    steve mccutcheon

@rideforever

Hi all,

I’m looking for a Stove to trek China with and I’m tossing up the Brunton Opimus Nova, Primus Omnifuel and MSR XGK. All seem just as good and reliable. Research shows these are the best. I’m happy to spend the money here to get a good stove.

I need something that won’t break down (esp. not in China), can survive 40+ C plus heat, -10+C cold and altitude.

Optimus seems to be the BACKUP stove used for many expeditions and I’ve never read a bad review.

The MSR is popular due to it’s reputation but seems to break down quite a lot (esp. the pump)

The primus also gets a good review due to its end user performance.

I have no experience here. Any suggestions?

Thanks. Steve

Matthew L.
    BPL Member

@gungadin

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA

The Nova is awesome. It is very powerful, well-designed and doesn’t use as much fuel as one would think. It is quite bulletproof and can work in a vast array of temps. I don’t know the other stoves personally, but I can’t imagine how they would be better.

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

I would second the Nova. I have one and had a MSR Whisperlite International way back when too. The Nova does not need to change jets, so less parts to potentially loose. IMHO the Nova pump is a higher quality, more durable pump too.
    I have burned diesel, kerosene, and white gas in the Nova. The only thing I noticed is when changing between fuel the first time you get a minute or so of sputtering before the flame settles in.
    Yes it is a little heavier, but for the versatility, stability and ease of maintenance I would make that choice again.

David Bonn

@david_bonn

Locale: North Cascades

About failure modes of MSR stoves.

I used the X-GK and various whisperlites for a very long time until I discovered ultralight backpacking. I still use my Whisperlight for winter trips or with groups of three or four.

I’ve never had one of their stoves quit on me. In a typical year in the early 90’s I’d use my stove for a hundred days or more. I would have a few times in those years where dinner would be delayed while I made field repairs or improvisations, but that was still an extremely rare event.

I never encountered a problem with those stoves that I couldn’t fix in the field. If you have a splash of white gas, some sunscreen or lip balm, spare gaskets, that jet cleaning and removal tool, and fifteen or twenty minutes you could get those things going.

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

Another vote for the Nova. Reliable and easy to use. The flip stop is great feature…no fuel to drip out of the line when you disconnect the stove. When priming I noticed less flare-ups compared to the XGK. Also, they are coming out with a newer version called the optimus plus.

http://www.optimus.se/

Roy

steve mccutcheon

@rideforever

Fantastic info. This is one of the hardest choices I’ve had to make in a long time. Particularly because so many MSR owners really stick by their XGKs/Whisperlites. The only reason I would go for the NOVA is that I don’t think I’ve ever come across a bad review. Cheers. Steve

steve mccutcheon

@rideforever

Just a point…
    Somebody recently pointed out to me that Optimus Nova stoves aren’t used as much on mountaineering expeditions as either the primus or msr. Is this a common truth or not.
    Thanks

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

I have used the Optimus along the Continental Divide with no problems. The same with MSR Whisperlite International. Even though the Optimus is a bit heavier than the Whisperlite, I like that I do not have to change the jets if I have to change fuel types. Less opportunity for mechanical failure. I also like the better stability of the Optimus when using it to melt snow in a 4-Liter pot.

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

That’s weird… I don’t see the SVEA 123 on the site anymore.

Discontinued?

EDIT: looks like it’s now under “Earlier Models”. The passing of a legend!

I wish I’d never heard of BPL so could have bought one. If only I didn’t feel so ashamed to carry a 1.2-pound hunk of brass around in my pack. Oh well… :)

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools