Topic

Recovery eating

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Reese

@mbrktn

Locale: East Tennessee

I've noticed that when I pull a long, (For me), day of hiking, while I feel OK the next day, on the second day I have very little energy. I'm thinking I need to change my eating habits before/during/after the event. Some background: I'm 48, 6ft, 175, and have been pretty dedicated to exercise and nutrition for the last six months or so. I've lost about 20 pounds and have steadily improved my endurance. My longest day hike to date is about 18 miles. I try to eat healthier in general but have not tried doing anything differently around a hike. Any suggestions?

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

To speed muscle recovery do this within 20 minutes of exercise :
    mix 3-5 grams of Glutamine powder in your favorite liquid and drink. Glutamine is a major amino acid utilized by the body to rebuild muscle tissue. You can buy 8 or 16 oz containers of Glutamine at a Vitamin or health food store.
    Also take a Calcium Magnesium supplement.

For general energy replenishment, I would say a "healthy diet" of complex carbs and good sleep. Some healthy protein for muscle rebuilding.

I run ultras. After long runs I immediately drink a mix of Recoverite (by Hammer Nutrition). It contains Glutamine, complex carbs and a variety of minerals and vitamins. Extra Calcium will also speed recovery.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools