Topic

Swiss Military Stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Swiss Military Stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Or should I have said Swiss Army Stove?

Anyway, I found this thing on EBay and bought one. It was cheap and looked like an interesting design to work with for an Esbit or alcohol stove.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Yeah, Dale, the Swiss Army bivouac stove will heat water in a blizzard. Wind has little effect on it. Sortof heavy and heavy-duty, though. It would be nice if someone would make something similar with attention to weight.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I bought it to study. It seems the same could be done with some sheet metal and a couple rivets. One tent stake could go through the middle to support a non-tapered pot/cup.

It appears that it is multi-fuel capable– small bits of wood, fuel tabs or a small alcohol stove (tested outdoors).

I found it for sale at this site too:
    http://west.loadup.com/military/surplus/12644.html

On a tangent, Snow Peak makes a small tapered Ti cup:

Anonymous

I got one to experiment with. Don’t leave the cork in while boiling, as it creates a missile followed by molten water.

The concept is sound, but the equipment is too heavy for backpacking use.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Agreed on the weight. Some thin wall aluminum or titanium tubing would be something to try. Something 1 liter Nalgene size would be great. A vertical slot in the top for the handles on a pot or cup to slide into with a tent stake stop to hold the cup. the thing I like is that stove and windscreen are combined and you could use wood, Esbit, or even a small pop can alcohol stove.

If you go much lighter it vectors off to the windscreen-and-tent-stake designs.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools