Topic

Salt and Pepper containers?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Salt and Pepper containers?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Gordon Smith
    BPL Member

@swearingen

Locale: Portland, Oregon

Hey folks,
    I’m looking for ideas for salt and pepper containers. I just bought this thing at REI:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=48039871&parent_category_rn=40003661&vcat=REI_SEARCH

It only weighs an ounce (empty) but it’s still really overkill for most backpack trips. I suppose the lightest solution would be the little paper S&P thingies you get at Burger King but I’m looking for something a little more durable (and waterproof). I used to have the 35mm film can S&P shakers but they’ve gone missing. Thanks for the help!
    Gordon

William Wright

@farstar

For an ounce you can carry seven BPL MiniVials. Each has a capacity of 0.5 tablespoon. Less than seven should be adequate for a person’s seasoning needs–salt, pepper, and one or two more for a nice variety–for a weekend trip.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

How about the plastic mini-vials sold here?
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/fluid_vials.html

I order office supplies and got these by mistake– I didn’t get the scale of the illustration– they are perfect for hiking: http://www.bettymills.com/shop/product/view/Office%20Snax/OFX1013.html

You might find the same in a drug store or grocer; otherwise, the web site above carries hand sanitizer, etc, to balance out the cost of shipping.

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

Personally I collect those individual Salt and Pepper packets and include a couple for each meal. The left over wrapper can be used to start a fire (if you dare to have one) or adds little weight to your packed out trash.

I do use the small 1/4 ounce vials sold on this site for other spices like Mrs. Dash’s, cinnamon, Garlic powder, etc. I use the Micro droppers for liquid things like Tobassco Sauce, bleach, deet, Aqua Mira, etc.

You could get creative and make your own custom spice mix in a small vial, but for a specific Salt and Pepper container, I choose the individual packets. They can be put into a waterproof container. Perhaps even the food container they are to be used for.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

“I do use the small 1/4 ounce vials sold on this site for other spices like Mrs. Dash’s, cinnamon, Garlic powder, etc. I use the Micro droppers for liquid things like Tobassco Sauce, bleach, deet, Aqua Mira, etc.”

I love a little DEET in my Top Ramen- it’s da bomb ;)

Dane Burke

@dane

Locale: Western Washington

Mike, what do you carry bleach for?

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

>>>” Mike, what do you carry bleach for?”<<< It is not something I carry every time. I use a couple drops of bleach for the final rinse of dishes when going with a full group of scouts. It is a sterilization method and much better than bringing a whole bottle. Also the drops prevent those accidents of spilling more bleach than needed.

Eliza Cava

@ecava1

I held a little mini-drive among all my vision-impaired friends, and came up with about a dozen different contact lens cases (each is for a pair of lenses). Each set of two weighs about half an ounce, and they can be used in pairs (salt and pepper?) or hacked in half for solo items (ibuprofen?). They hold solids and powders really well, are terrific for gels, hand creams, ointments and the like, are waterproof, and do fine for carrying liquids if you don’t plan on pouring careful amounts for dispensing (soap?).

Also, they’re free! Most every contact-lens wearing friend you have has at least two or three sitting around that they don’t use.

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

“came up with about a dozen different contact lens cases”

Pure genius! (Improvised) Gear of the Year candidate. I have about a hundred of these buggers laying around and I just spent ten bucks at REI buying plastic bottles for various things.

Eliza Cava

@ecava1

Glad you like the idea! I’m sort of a cheap container nut, so I also collect old plastic spice bottles, prescription pill bottles of all sizes, soap dispenser bottles, and so forth for material storage purposes.

Michael Wands

@walksoftly

Locale: Piney Woods

No more Dr. Bronner’s as toothpaste!!! No more spitting soap bubbles!!!

I have been wondering how to carry a weekend’s worth of actual tooth gel. Now Eliza provides the perfect solution.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools