Topic

35lbs down to 15 and dropping

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 35lbs down to 15 and dropping

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Lanny Myslicki
    BPL Member

@pyre80

Locale: The Rockies

2 years ago, I had 35 pounds in my pack and hated it. So I took my winters, did my research, and am at 15ish pounds for a base weight now. Tell me what you think.

currently carrying
    Deuter ACT Zero 60+10 pack (comfy) 1406g
    BA Flycreek UL1 (I like a tent) 1000g
    MEC Pharaoh -12C Down or Mountain Hardware Lamina -7 Synthetic (am a cold sleeper, and a cranky cold hiker) 1478g each
    GG Airbloc Solid compression bag 114g
    Thermarest Prolite Plus short (blue foam = cold me) 480g
    Vargo Triad 28g
    Alcohol kept in Rubbermaid juice box 50g w/o fuel
    Snowpeak 900 ti pot (i like handles) 173g
    Leatherman Skeletool 137g
    a real compass 70g
    a tiny mp3 player 40g
    AMK med kit 140g
    tiny solar/LED light 15g
    Frontier Pro filter 50g
    MSR Cloudliner 176g
    MEC long underwear top/bottom 535g
    First Ascent Igniter coat 678g
    Marmot Mica shell 222g
    Merrell shoes 700ish g worn
    a few other bits and pieces will add to later

Jeffrey Kuchera
    BPL Member

@frankenfeet

Locale: Great Lakes

First off congrats on dropping 20lbs out of your pack. Dropping that 20lbs is a great accomplishment. It will take a lot of hard work at this point to realize further weight savings. You seem attached to your pack, shelter, and sleep system which is fine, but you should realize that these areas have lots of stored potential in terms of farther weight savings. I would estimate that a minimum of another 3 lbs of weight loss potential exist in these systems alone. If you really want the BPL community to "get medieval" on your gear list I would suggest publishing a complete list for analysis that includes the weight of each item. I mean list everything you will have with you "FSO" or "from the skin out" that you will be carrying in your pack with you and wearing/carrying on your person while being sure to differentiate which items will be packed and which will be worn. You mention odds and ends but should really disclose what they are if you want to get your pack professionally exorcised of weight demons.
    All in all your list looks pretty solid especially if you enjoy your creature comforts. I tend to enjoy my creature comforts too!

Jeffrey Kuchera
    BPL Member

@frankenfeet

I already mentioned it in my intial post, but there is definitely stored weight loss potential in your pack, shelter system, and sleep system. Probably to the tune of three pounds or maybe more depending on where you want to take this whole lightweight thing.

The thing that really jumps out at me is the leatherman tool. Looks like it weighs in at 5oz? I would ditch this or replace it with a lighter cutting tool. A swiss army pen knife weighs only .7oz

Which AMK med kit do you carry?

I suspect that a lighter alcohol container can be used, but don't know the weight of your rubbermaid container. It looks heavy though.

Tiny MP3 player can go. Listen to nature instead.

Are you carrying those merrell shoes in your pack? I hope not.

You could get lighter than the MSR cloudliner by going with a pair of platypus 2 liters.

Before this is over I expect someone to hammer you on the frontier filter even though it weighs 2oz becasue of it's 3 micron pore size.

I would also expect someone may hammer you on the full size compass but I fully support you in carrying it.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

OK, I'll do the hammering…

I too use the Frontier Pro and love its light weight and compactness. But DON'T use it alone. Here's why:

As stated above, the pore size of this 'toy filter' is a whopping 3.0 microns — or a good 15x bigger than the 0.2 pore size of quality filters (e.g. MSR)! Even more troubling, the 3-micron pore size is bigger than many bacteria! What good is a filter that can't block bacteria??

You can upgrade to a real filter — or just do what I do:

1. collect your water
    2. add 6 drops of unscented bleach per quart/liter of water
    3. wait 30 minutes — to kill bacteria and viruses (note that chlorine won't kill the big protozoa cysts like crypto and giardia)
    4. drink (suck) water through your Frontier Pro filter — to block those big, hard to kill protozoa cysts, clarify water, and improve water taste.

With the filter, you won't detect any trace of chlorine when drinking. And since it takes just 6 drops of chlorine per quart of water, all you need to bring with you is a small dropper bottle's worth.

Jeffrey Kuchera
    BPL Member

@frankenfeet

Thanks Ben. I knew I could count on someone to do the dirty work for me. BTW I like your split system of filter and chemicals. Very well thought out. I had already noticed your methodology in another thread here somewhere at BPL. I would have posted the clickable here but I was having trouble finding that thread again.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Thanks, Jeffrey! :)

Chris Gray
    Spectator

@chrisfol

Locale: Denver, Coloado

Dropping those 20lbs is huge– here is some food for thought:

– You could definately get a lighter pack and save 2lbs or so.
    – You could switch to a tarp+bivy setup and save 6oz or so.
    – There are definately lighter bags out there! Save 3lb or so.
    – Switch to a lighter torso/short length pad such as the TorsoLite (R3.5– same as the Prolite) but weighs 10oz. Save 7oz.
    – What is the Airbloc storing?
    – There are lighter alky stoves. Saves 13oz.
    – Nix the cloudliner– consider regular water bottles or platypus' and save 4/5oz.
    – SP 900, if you are just boiling water then you could get away with something smaller and lighter and save 3oz.

-As Ben said, add some chlorine tablets to your list.
    -Not sure what is in your FAK– but you may be able to pair it down some.
    – MP3 player is not really needed. Save the weight of the player+batteries.

Lanny Myslicki
    BPL Member

@pyre80

I don't have my grams infront of me, but my pack is 1400ish, as are the 2 sleeping bags. O, I didn't mention, this is my gear for the Canadian Rockies, I had frost on my tent in August after a 25C day. My AMK is the 2 day ultralight, my MP3 player is 40g with headphones, I like my tent and hate bugs, the Torsolite is too short for me at 6'6", the Airbloc holds my sleeping bag, the shoes I wear, my compass is 70ish grams and has a signal mirror, my stove is 28g, and the alky bottle is under 50g and is the only thing that pours nicely into the Triad. Thanks for the filter info, good to know, will check into that later. I forgot to add that I wear a MEC synthetic shirt and Cloudveil convertible pants. More will follow, including the weight list. Thanks for all the advice, it is really appreciated.

Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

Locale: "Grand Canyon of the East"

Ben and everyone else is right; you definitely want to combine your Frontier Pro with some chemicals. It may be an extra two ounces, but the difference in taste and the reduction in time waiting for the chemicals to work on protozoa is worth it IMO.

Lanny Myslicki
    BPL Member

@pyre80

A couple more things. My Leatherman is for more than just cutting, it's nice to have the pliers/cutters included, and it's half the weight of my old Swiss multitool. My 900 pot is kept because I can't make KD in a smaller pot, or I can't be bothered to make 3 batches for one meal. I forgot to say that I have both bear spray and an ursack, the bear spray won't get lighter until it's used up, and the ursack has the odor proof liner. I can't take 3 pounds of of my pack, tent or sleeping bag because each is 3 pounds or less right now (1400g, 1000g, 1450g respectively). I do have the following thoughts on -2.5 pounds, by going with a Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus and a MEC Uplink coat. I worry about the durability of that pack because I do some bushwacking, and all those rocks and trees may eat my pack. Also, the FA coat is my only insulation besides the hooded long underwear, not sure if a half pound coat is warm enough. Thanks again folks.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Lanny,

You may have answered this, but please read this posting (below), this will help anyone offering to help.

LINK:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=31018

thanks,
    Mike C!

Lanny Myslicki
    BPL Member

@pyre80

Thanks, I think I've corrected most of this, weights are included, location is in, and trip length is currently 2-3 days. I am usually with a partner, but carry all of my own gear. Weather is -5C to +25C, maybe with rain, snow, frost, hail or niceness. Base weight is all that I have on here, food, water and fuel are not included. And whoever said to look at the Platypus, I sure will, -70g is nice for $20.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Your pack seems overly large (60+10L) and heavy (+3 lbs) for your 15 lbs baseweight. There are some really nice light framed packs if that's what you want to stick with. Check out the Gossamer Gear Gorilla and ULA Ohm. Both are under 1.5 lbs and very nice packs. If you want to go lighter still there are some great frameless pack options from Mountain Laurel Designs, Six Moon Designs, ULA and Gossamer Gear. You can get a nice 50L pack for about a pound or less.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I'm in to Rockies 2 and i can help shed some light on or overpriced item in the north. you really never get all those conditions on the same trip. that being said ive been in +35 weather then blizzard the next day on Mt. Robson with about 5 pieces of clothing and was completely fine to being overly hot.

-bags: look at a MHW phantom or marmot helium if your a cold sleeper, sell the others.

-Pack:look at the Osprey Exos/talon packs.

-Pad: grab a BA aircore, comfort is amazing for its weight or splurge on a neo air. and there is always the torsolite

-drop the skeletool, you have nothing that needs the screw drivers, get a victorinox mini classic or something similar

-you have alot of weight in base layers. grab some IBC 150 or 200, or even the BPL stuff. MEC sleeping bags have poor loft and the lamina I think is overstated on its rating.

Lanny Myslicki
    BPL Member

@pyre80

It's been a while, but I've made some changes to my gear that include
    Gossamer Gear G4 large 472g with trimmed straps
    MEC Merlin 2 -3C sleeping bag 726g
    Therm a Rest Prolite Plus short 480g the Torsolite is too short for me at 6'6"
    4 Dogs Bushcooker LT1 stove 58g
    Baladeo 22g knife
    First Ascent Downlight hoodie 399g
    And a tinfoil lid for my Ti pot 45 grams less

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools