Topic

Quick-drying Trail Shoe?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Quick-drying Trail Shoe?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ian Schumann
    BPL Member

@freeradical

Locale: Central TX

Teva Ricochet Pro, on sale right now and free shipping from STP until Monday. Click here.

I had a pair of the Teva Ricochet 2’s a couple of years ago. Lasted through hard usage, quite comfortable, and they seemed pretty flexible as I recall, though this was before I knew anything about backpacking so I can’t remember much pertinent detail. But anyway, might be worth a try here. I’ll probably spring for these.

Ian Schumann
    BPL Member

@freeradical

Locale: Central TX

So I got them in the mail yesterday from Sierra, tried em on, walked around. They’re not for me because I’m sold on the super-flexible slipper type shoes, a la Inov-8. Instead, the Ricochet Pros have significant support and torsional rigidity. I’d say they’re built comparably to an average Montrail running shoe, which could make it excellent for backpacking. Also, there’s no question that these drain well–the uppers have huge mesh ports down to the insole, and there are visible slots in the outsole that let extra water get pumped out the bottom of the shoe. The heel wrap felt very secure, not just a cosmetic gimmick, and additionally, the outsole is made of the famous Stealth rubber, making them quite sticky for slickrock and canyoneering, and probably just fine for everything else except deep mud or snow. As for fit, I usually wear 8.5 in hiking shoes but the Ricochets in size 8.5 were slightly narrow/too short/low volume in the toe box for my feet, which are just barely wide and low-arched. If I’d go at it again I’d probably get a size 9, which is a full size up from my typical athletic or street shoes. All things considered, these are definitely a pair of shoes that should be considered if you’re looking for a quick-drying lightweight trail shoe. And right now they’re cheap on Sierra.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools