Topic

Packit Gourmet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

I made the Austintacious Tortilla Soup for my wife. She loved it. I followed the cook in the pot directions. How much difference in taste/texture is there with the cook in the bag method? Taste and texture are very important to her.

Is their chicken good? I was considering raman noodles and foil pouch chicken for another meal, but with the success of the soup I'm considering trying their chicken

They included some instant coffee. Is it even worth trying? I won't drink "standard" instants and the Starbucks via is okay.

I'm hopeful that I've found a winner here. My wife was VERY skeptical of "backpack food". She's very hopeful that their other stuff will be good now. :8^)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

If the instant coffee was an Asian one they are quite good but you might find it sweet.

On the chicken, yes, freeze dried chicken is great tasting.

On the soup, the in-the-bag method won't be as good but is still great tasting. But for other meals they sell the bag method is great (like the couscous cranberry salad they sell – fantastic done in a bag).

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

That's next. I'm assuming it is better done by the cook in pot directions.

Thanks! I was hoping you'd respond to this post. :8^)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Yeah….stews, chowders and soups are the one type of meal that does better in a pot – and I will freely admit that!

Haven't tried the Tucson Stew though (wow, a PIG meal I missed??) Have to try that one out!

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Thanks. I kinda figured they would, but you never know.

I will have to let you know what we think of it. Next after that is the burger wrap and the breakfast burrito. I'm not too hopefull with the breakfast burrito (eggs just don't seem to reconstitute well), but we'll see.

BTW, thanks for all the information you have provided in this area. It was thru your web site that I found Packit Gourmet in the first place. :8^)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

The breakfast burritos are tasty!!

Btw, unlike so many dried eggs out there the ones that PIG uses actually taste like eggs. Do use plenty of oil when cooking them and preferably a slick non stick pan.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

and which ones does pig use?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Ova brand is one of two they use, Ova is amazing for taste. Personally, just buy a packet of Ova and try them out!

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Just had the Tuscan beef stew for dinner. It was excellent! Not excellent for backpacking food, but simply excellent. If the burger wrap and the Texmex breakfast taco are even remotely good we will be ordering from Packit Gourmet without hesitation. And I'm very optimistic now. :8^)

Who knew FD food could be so good?!? Their choice of spices really makes a difference.

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Just thought I'd update this.

Tried the American Burger Wrap and it was okay. Certainly better than I expected, but then I expected it to not be editable. ;^)

Also tried the breakfast burrito. Pretty good. I went back for seconds, so how bad could it be. I did add cheese, and I'll do that on the trail also.

We've decided that we can order anything that sounds good from Packit Gourmet and not worry about going hungry on the trail. Best of all, we'll probably eat well. :8^)

I can't wait to give some of my "all backpack food tastes like crap" friends some of the tortilla soup.

Marilyn Pitts
    BPL Member

@maire

Locale: Southern California

Just wanted to give an additional huge thumbs-up to the OvaEasy egg mixture that Packit Gourmet sells. This has become our typical backpacking breakfast of choice. I mix a little dried milk in, some water–and instant scrambled eggs that pass for the real egg thing. In fact, my fellow packers were amazed how it tasted "just like real scrambled eggs." I typically add in some rehydrated veges, such as tomatoes, broccoli, onions, spinach, etc.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools