Topic

Transporting Fishing Poles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Transporting Fishing Poles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

Hi All –
    Trying to figure out a good way to carry fishing poles in a protected manor. My wife, son, and I all have spinning rods and would like to bring them on some trips. At least 2 of the poles, if not all 3, will end up on my pack. All 3 poles are 2-piece, and I would definitely carry them broken down. I want to be sure they're fairly protected so I can avoid snapped poles, broken guides, snared spools, etc.

The first thought I had was to hack up some PVC piping to create a tube. The benefit here is that it would be easy to create something that kept them well protected and strapped onto my pack easily, and locked everything in place. The down side would be that I'd imagine that to be a bit heavy.

Any other ideas?

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

Try an Architects tube for carrying blueprints -grey soft tube with end caps. Also cardboard mailers cylinders or triangular. PVC is usually sized for water pressures, so the wall thickness may be too heavy. 25 years ago there were aluminum tubes for $ bamboo rods. Post what you find today.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Google for Clear Plastic Protector Tube – or something similar

Uline Tube

This is a Uline.com product. 3" diameter, 48" long. Other smaller sizes are available. The minimum order is 25, but you can be sure someone has singles.

Cheap, strong, light.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

I carry my rods in cloth rod bags – long skinny things with a long skinny pocket for each section. Sometimes they come with a rod (like Tenkara), but when they don't, I make them myself.

With all the sections bundled snugly together, I've never had any problems with breakage, etc.

Bailey Gin
    Spectator

@pugslie

Locale: SLO County

I bought this: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_36819____SearchResults the 2.5 x 38 (actual 41.25) inch size. Holds my 2-piece Fenwick spinning rods, a 5' ULA and a 6' LA. About $20

Bailey

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

thanks for the ideas guys – gives me something to chew on

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Check this out….
    Cheep, light weight and provides protection to your rod.

http://www.1000bulbs.com/T5-Polycarbonate-Tube-Sleeves/

Fishing Pole Case

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

The "brain trust" that resides on BPL is amazing!

James D Buch
    BPL Member

@rocketman

Locale: Midwest

Those polycarbonate lighting tube protectors are nice for fishing rod protection.

I found some in a Big Box store, in 4 foot and 8 foot lengths. I bought two 4' ones.

Was either Lowes, Home Depot or WalMart, forgot which.

JOHN ZENNER
    Spectator

@johnz

Locale: East Bay

I've switched to carrying my 2 piece 7 foot fly rod with no protection at all. No, I'm not doing off trail hikes this way.

I find that having it just strapped to my pack makes it much faster to get out and fish small creeks that I pass (that I would pass up if I had to unpack the rod and rig it) and I also find that knowing that it's unprotected makes me much more mindful of where I and how I take the pack off, and that's not a bad thing.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

+1 for the lightbulb tube. These tubes are light and adequately durable. They won't resist being stepped on, but for normal squishing encountered in your pack they will be fine. Mine is about 18" long and I think it's 1 to 1.5oz including the end caps. The caps are a lot of the weight so a 3 or 4 foot section would only be 2-3 oz.

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

I guess I hadn't considered packing my rod and reel separately, but it makes sense. I'll have to think through how much a pain that is to have to unpack that much to throw a line in the water.

Dan Stanko

@dinsdale

Locale: Loozerville,USA

Problem with the light bulb tube is it won't fit the guides on a spinning rod, in most cases anyway.I do use one for fly rods however and for that it's great.But its easy to string fly line fast.

For my spinning I use a piece of pipe insulation(the black foam thats split down the middle)for 3/4 pipe.You can leave your line strung with something tied to the end(I use a small swivel and attach a short leader,the swivel acting like a split shot)Fold the rod on its self and put the foam over the two pieces and secure each end with a rubber band.The reel foot just has the foam slip around it's still on the rod.

Its real fast once you practice a couple of times and gets you on the water when you want.I have a couple 2' sections of 4lb test with some lures or hooks already made up and wrapped around another piece of foam in my pocket.Since its mostly skinny water I carry 3 or 4 leaders tied with what I want and they are small any way.For bigger water I carry a box for lures and such.

Been doing this a since I started doing float plane trips as weight is always critical,fore going hard sided cases for some time.We bush wack a lot with this set up after drop off and haven't had a problem yet.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools