Topic

Cutting carbon tubing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cutting carbon tubing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Julian Watson

@juleswatson

Hi, I'm going to be buying some carbon tube for a tent pole (straight).

Can anyone reccommend a good way to cut CF tubes ? Ta, Jules

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I use CF arrow shafts for my tents.

Archery shops cut CF arrow shafts with a small diamond saw in a custom jig. Very clean cut. (Think Dremel disk.)

I cut CF arrow shafts with a very fine saw while holding the CF tube inside another close-fitting Al tube. The idea here is to prevent peeling of the outer layer at the last minute. Then I very briefly touch the end up with some fine wet&dry paper. This works well enough that I haven't bothered getting a diamond saw blade.

Cheers

David Franzen
    Spectator

@dfranzen

Locale: Germany

Are you using the carbon poles in tents where they assume an arc-like shape?
    If so, are you bending the carbon tubes, or are you using bented joints?

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

I use a product called mini-cutoff saw available from the tool outlets like Harbor Freight and Northern Tool. It has a 2" steel blade with a thin kerf, a little vise to stabilize the tube, and slices right through carbon arrows. Also like that that the steel blade will not shatter like the composite ones can.

But it will only handle up to about 1/2" dia. tubing. Looked for a small cutoff saw with a blade around 3", but no luck yet. The arrow saws, available from Cabela's and the archery outlets, only handle arrow size shafts, and you have to push the shaft into the blade, rather than stabillize it in a vise and lower the blade over it as with a cut-off saw.

If your straight shafts are under 1/2 inch, the mini cutoff might work well. They are under $50, including a supply of replacement blades.

Should also mention that I use a small buffing wheel to buff the ends of the shafts after cutting.

Julian Watson

@juleswatson

Thanks all. I have a dremel – I guess this might be an avenue to check out. Or I will do as Roger does.

My poles are just straight uprights (I don't use trekking poles).

Roger – I am looking at getting some from one of the kite retailers that are on your 'FAQ'. I have yet to fully figuire out the grommet / socket setup to use yet (any recomendations ?). Lenghts are only 86 and 107cm total so I just want a few sections to make them packable in the backpack.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi David

> Are you using the carbon poles in tents where they assume an arc-like shape?
    Yes, but I limit the radius of curvature to 1.8 metres.

> If so, are you bending the carbon tubes, or are you using bented joints?
    Both. See:
    http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/DIY_RNCSummer.htm#My1

Cheers

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Julian

I make up a nylon tent pole foot, fairly conventional shape, with the tip the right size to go into a grommet. See:
    http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/DIY_RNCSummer.htm#Pitch

Cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools