Topic

Summer sierra 4 day gearlist

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Summer sierra 4 day gearlist

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jim nash

@jameswnash

Locale: SoCal

Hi all,

This kit is for summer sierra hiking. Comments or suggestions appreciated.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AnsOJsfb7tludEtiYWhRU25QbzlMbExQU2ZIa005ZEE&hl=en

-jim

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I have now idea what you would need for a weight reduction but here's what I found. the only way to get rid of some weight would be to buy different gear but…

Spyderco ladybug: drop for razor blade or Dermasafe knife (.3-.6oz)

Container for PBJ: ziplock bag you can squeeze from (1oz)

Patagonia boxers the shorts have liners (2.1oz)

MSR towel save (.4oz)

Neoair for a torso sized CCF pad if you can sleep on one (6oz)

here what you would need to buy:

Pack 12.8oz for 1200ci a cuben pack, Zpacks blast or a MLD burn might work for a couple of oz reductions

Poles: Lighttrek 3 would drop your pole weight by half

Your already sub 5lb so not much to cut out but a few oz.

Sean Walashek

@caraz

Locale: bay area

You have your fuel listed at 3 cubic inches on the histogram, no volume listed on the actual list.

Personal preferences and opinions
    The wisp toothbrush isn't really effective as a toothbrush I have found. You might want to add another water container, having only 1 liter and having to treat it would not be something I would choose for myself. If you aren't worried about being too cold or planning on staying low I wouldn't change anything. Again for myself I would opt for a bag with full baffles and a full jacket as opposed to a vest. The drop-off on the sleeping pad would make it uncomfortable were I using it, I would again carry the extra couple ounces for a full length pad.
    Its a very well organized spreadsheet.

Suggestions
    If you have yet to buy the majority of the stuff on the list I would offer some caution and ask if you are already familiar with the tarp/bivy and if it is for you. Also a 2 person cuben tarp would provide much more coverage (welcomed if you are not bringing a pack cover/liner or rain jacket) and be useful if you want to take others camping, at a very small weight gain. You have the wind jacket and pants listed as minimal rain protection. Would you stop and take off your shoes to pull on the pants if it were to rain? Maybe jettison both of those for an actual rain jacket and pack liner? You could switch out your rei poles for some gg lt4's to shave something like 6 ounces. Thats all I got at this time.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Oh boy – I love the PIE CHART!

4.52 pounds of food for 4 days?

That means 2 FULL days, and 2 PARTIAL days (at each end) right? So, basically 3 days of food right? So, approximately 1.5 pounds of food per day, right?

Not bad!

jim nash

@jameswnash

Locale: SoCal

3 nights, four days.

thanks for all your comments.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools