Topic

New – UL Super Spiral Down Hugger #3

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals New – UL Super Spiral Down Hugger #3

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Frank Steele

@knarfster

Locale: Arizona

This is $279 at Moontrail, BUT you get 50 bonus points which is worth like $60-90 of free gear(like a new MSR Quick 1 system cooking kit or MSR Sweet water both $80). So only $229 to $189 for the newest Mont-Bell!

Jon Sabo
    Spectator

@smallworld

Is there a place that describes the differences between the UL, Super, Stretch, and Spiral adjectives they use for their bags? It looks like there are all kinds of combinations but their descriptions don't really highlight the differences. I probably shouldn't worry too much about it, I picked up the UL Spiral #3 long from moontrail a little bit ago for $250 which I don't have a problem with. Apparently the ul spiral #3 long is a pound lighter than the ul super stretch #3 long also.

Frank Steele

@knarfster

Jon,

Here is a quick run down.

The UL Super Stretch Down Hugger line(800 Down, heavier but more roomy) has been combined with the UL Spiral Down Hugger Line (800 down, lighter but less room) into the UL Super Spiral Down Hugger line (takes breath). The new line is slightly heavier than the UL Spiral DH line but has more stretchy room.

They did away with the UL Super Stretch Down hugger line all together (which is why its hard to find now) and kept making some select UL Spiral DH bags, presumably because they won so many awards (Doesn't look good to cancel an award winning line and come out with a new Heavier line).

Unfortunately it looks like they have done away with the #2's #4's and #7's with the new line. Too bad too, because a UL Super Spiral DH #2 would theoretically weigh only 26 oz ,same as a Sierra Designs Nitro 30, but with 14 oz of 800 down, I am a cold sleeper despite all this fat that's supposed to keep me warm :).

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

human fat is like whale fat, it's more about flotation than warmth.

that said, I hope I can find a spare ~$300 soon to take advantage of one of these winter bag deals…

Frank Steele

@knarfster

Ha, I don't float so well either ;)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools