Topic

Packraft bulk

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting Packraft bulk

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

I want to purchase an Alpacka raft in the near future and I was wondering how much bulk a packraft setup adds to a pack. My highest volume pack right now is an MLD Prophet, and I'm pretty sure this will be too small for a packraft setup. I'm trying to figure out how much bigger of a pack I need to get. I'm thinking the MLD Ark should do the job.

Any advice would be appreciated.

-Sid

Roman Dial

@romandial

Locale: packrafting NZ

If you don't have a spray deck or thigh straps and you fold your boat, not roll it, You can get it down to about 4" by 11" by 16", a rectangular package that you should be able to fit into a Go Lite Pinnacle with a week's worth of food and camping gear, or into a ULA pack like Andy Skurka's using on his big trip. If you are carrying a wet suit or a dry suit and a helmet and elbow guards then you will not be able to fit a week's worth of food and gear w/packraft in the Pinnacle. More likely 2-4 days worth.

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

The Pinnacle is about 4400 cu in. The Ark is a slightly smaller volume at 4200 cu in. I'm thinking the Ark would work then. It would save me quite a bit of weight over the Pinnacle as well. I don't plan on carrying any extras like spray deck, wet suit, helmet, etc.

-Sid

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools