Topic

JMT Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists JMT Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Hart

@drmguy

Locale: Orange County

I will be going for 15/16 days late July to early August. Im going with two other people.

As you can see I still have some minor gaps but I am glad that im almost done.

Any suggestions?

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tpwdqRZfPYBckZSyEcwOgaQ&output=html

Ryan Hart

@drmguy

Sorry I posted the spreadsheet incorrectly.

I think it should work now.

Christopher Konsowitz
    Spectator

@thekonz

Locale: Rocky Mountains

You are still lacking a lot of things. Is this bc you don't have them yet, ie pot, stove, etc and are trying to decide what to get and want advice on that?

Also, for some of the items you do have listed, there are no weights. Do you have a scale? If not, I suggest buying that before you buy another piece of gear.

TheKonz

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

First aid, duct tape, knife, compass, map, sunscreen, headlamp, deet? Missing a good bit of the 10 essentials. And don't forget fun stuff: camera, fishing pole?

Ryan Hart

@drmguy

Anything without a weight is because I havent received it yet.

I have a digital scale.

All the items with "still need" i need to order and the blanks I am undecided or it is a simple answer.

Ryan Hart

@drmguy

Basically I am looking for advice on the items i DO have listed.

Sorry for not clarifying better.

Jeff K
    Spectator

@jeff-k

Locale: New York

Hi Ryan,

Is the Swift going to be big enough for the Bearikade weekender?

Ryan Hart

@drmguy

I don't have it yet but I put the ridgerest in and measured the maximum diameter cylinder that would fit and it seems it should fit fine.

B. F.
    BPL Member

@bradly

My JMT list for this summer is pretty similar. Which jacket are you going with? I'm

Is the pack cover needed? The Cape covers your bag, right? Also, I hear a head net is recommended for the JMT, so you may to toss that on the list.

-Bradly

Ryan Hart

@drmguy

Ok I have received a lot of the gear and weighed everything I have.

Now that it is not such a preliminary list I would like to get some feedback.

Chris Gray
    Spectator

@chrisfol

Locale: Denver, Coloado

-Are you sure the 1L Platy weighs the same as the 2.5L Platy? I don't believe that they do.

-Have you practiced lighting an esbit stove with a firesteel? I would switch to a mini bic and matches.

-Nix the pillow, stuff some clothes into one of your unused stuff sacks at the end of the day.

-Not sure about the JMT, but are two pads necessary for the expected conditions?

-You are carrying 9lbs of fishing gear if my math is correct. This seems excessive, what are you bringing?

-No rain gear?
    -No warm gloves?
    -Nearly 3oz for a 2nd pair of socks is pretty heavy– look into cheap dress or ankle socks.

How is the cooking going to work for you and two other people? How much water do you plan on boiling per day? How many stoves and pots between the three of you?

I know that I wouldn't want to boil all that water with only an alcohol or esbit stove and one .85L pot– you guys may find it more efficent switching to a cansiter set-up and one larger 2L pot for boiling water.

Ryan Hart

@drmguy

-I was surprised myself but my scale showed them being the same weight.

-I have not and therefore I will change accordingly

-I'm still debating this. This trip will possibly be the first trip I do not use clothes in a stuff sack.

-The ccf pad is for the frame. I didnt like the feel of the inflatable for the frame.

-That is my total carried weight. The fishing gear is something like 6 ounces.

-Rain gear-Gatewood
    -Ill have to think about gloves.

We plan on having 2 alcohol stoves and two .85 pots.

Joel Waddell

@tenderpaw

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Depending on your hike, you might be ble to ditch the bear can. For my jmt hike this Aug, I start out at TM in Yosemite and hike out of the park the first day. Then the only REQUIRED area is the Ray lakes area, where there are bear lockers for through hikers. Ditch the can if possible for an Ursack. Save TWO POUNDS.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"…you might be able to ditch the bear can. … the only REQUIRED area is the Ray lakes area…"

The controlling agency is Inyo National Forest, and their web pages show a canister is required on the JMT.

Inyo Canister Requirements

As I learned last week, web pages are not always up to date. Have you had recent confirmation that canisters are Not required on the JMT?

Thanks.

Joel Waddell

@tenderpaw

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I'm going from what Ursack says on its website.

Where can Ursack be used on the Pacific Crest Trail?
    Almost everywhere except Yosemite N.P. and three areas of SEKI! By our rough calculations made by referring to the SIBBG map, only about 40-50 miles of the 2,650 mile trail is through areas in which an approved bear canister must be used. That is less than 2% of the PCT. The Forest Service Order for Inyo National Forest for 2009 allows Ursacks. It says: food must be stored in a container designed to prevent access by bears. In the past, Inyo has specified only SIBBG approved containers. That is no longer the case. In addition, there are Park supplied food storage lockers at 11 locations in that restricted area.

US Forest Service – Inyo National Forest
    Last Modified: Wednesday, 17 June 2009 at 10:31:51 EDT

I placed a call into Inyo but it being Sunday no one is home. I'll post my findings as they come. I hope I'm not missing something I sent my can back to REI…

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Hint:
    Rae Lakes is not in Inyo National Forest. That area is along the JMT inside Sequoia National Park.

National Forests are part of the US Department of Agriculture, and the National Parks are part of the Department of the Interior. Two completely separate agencies. Don't expect them to talk.

–B.G.–

Kevin Lutz

@mtntrailrunner

Bear canisters are also required in the area east of Mt. Whitney. Although the Mt. Whitney trail is not a part of the JMT per se, anyone beginning or ending a JMT hike must pass through that area.

An Ursack with a liner weighs about 18 ounces. For another 13 ounces you can have a fully approved Bearikade Weekender canister which gives you real protection and you can sleep at night knowing that you won't wake up to a bunch of mush that used to your food, or maybe no food at all.

And let's not forget one thing: Canister rules are for the protection of the bears, not the food. Bears don't know borders and can't tell the difference between a National Park and a National Forest. Personally, I want to do everything I can to protect them, even if it means carrying a little more weight. There are plenty of other ways to pare ounces.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools