Topic

Lakeshore Trail GSMNP –where to sleep

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Lakeshore Trail GSMNP –where to sleep

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

Was putting together a leisurely hike of the LST…driving up from ATL on Thursday, will drive back Sunday. Taking our time with the graveyards and we would love to catch some dinner. what sites should we sleep at? was going to hike from the tunnel to thd dam but am flexible (i heard car is safer if you park at dam).

was thinking 98, 81, and 90 for our sites, but have heard 86 is awesome.

74, 76, 86 could be an option also.

any recomnedations? thanks in advance

let me know if ya'll think we are doing it backwards as well. thanks!

Robert Carver
    BPL Member

@rcarver

Locale: Southeast TN

All the sites you have listed are nice. Of the two options you have listed, I would go with 98, 81 and 90. If you really want to stay at 86, you could option that in place of 90. The trail is not that hard to be able to go from 86 to the dam.

I've parked on both ends and never had a problem.

Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

i have been looking at that trail, but i don't seem to readily understand the trail distance for that section. probably user error.

on the trail i see 8.7, 12.3 and 4.4 where are those junctions so you can guess on mileage to campsites?

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Had same problem. the Trekking the Southern Appalacians book i have put 98 at a little over 10 miles from tunnel, 81 at ~20 miles, and 90 at around 30 miles. Anyone else have any info? much appreciated.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I can look it up in the little brown book at home, but you should know that 86 (Proctor) is now a reservation only site. I stayed at 76 and 76 when I did the trail, but I'd probably just do it in two days and stay somewhere in the middle nowdays.

Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

I did not think to look it up in the brown book. Thanks.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

thanks in advance.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools