Topic

Longtail Cargo Bicycles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring Longtail Cargo Bicycles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I am building a longtail cargo bicycle mostly to be used for around-town hauling but the concept is very common is touring (aka Surly's Big Dummy).

Longtail Cargo Bicycle

I built this bicycle from a 26" mtb frame up front, top tubes cannabilized from another 26" mtb and then a 20" kids mtb for the rear triangle. The iteration pictured is currently single-speed (for testing).

Future work includes designing and building a rack, installing an internally-geared rear hub, and adding disc brakes. Also, reinforcing material needs to be added to the seat tube.

William Johnson

@steamboat_willie

Fun.

I enjoyed your links to the the cargo bikes in your blog ways back. I'll enjoy seeing this beast take shape, and how you'll choose to have it carry your loads.

Roll on, Ultralighter.

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

Very nice. No problems with the chain hopping without a tensioner to give it better wrap on the cog?

You know, this is your opportunity to be the first person in recorded history to post photos of a wheelie on a long tail. Physics says you can't but who asked physics?

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Don, the bicycle is currently set-up as a single speed just to see how the frame rides and feels so there is a little bit of chain-slap. I'll be putting in a tensioner if I deem it necessary down the road as I delve deeper into the drive train and componentry of the cycle. For now I'm focusing on frame and cargo design.

And I'll see what I can do about getting a wheelie down on it for you… yeah right!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Here you go folks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BktHUg_8uMY

Sam, that frame looks ghettofabulous!

Morgan Rucks
    BPL Member

@rucksmtr

thats my local bike shop
    rad

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

My buddy wass telling me a story the other day that went like this:

"So I'm at my office which has a window overlooking Mendenhall Street and I get a call. On the line is Matt who says to me, 'look out the window'. Still talking to him on the phone I look out the window and see him wheelie'ing his Kona Ute longbike down the street with one hand while talking to me on his cell phone in the other."

The video Dave linked to above is proof in the pudding I guess!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools