Topic

BPL’s myog tarp article: cuben?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear BPL’s myog tarp article: cuben?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn

Hey all, I'm looking to make the tarp that is featured in the articles section on this site. But I want to make it with cuben fiber, probably from zpacks.com. And probably .6 oz/yard. Can this be done as easily as spinnaker? Follow the same instructions? Any special instructions or things of which I should be weary?

I posted the same question on the companion forum thread to the article, but alas, there was no response. Am I overcomplicating this?

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Ben,

>>Am I overcomplicating this?<< Simple answer, No!

I've done two of these same tarps using the directions in Jay's article.

Read carefully Jay's introductory article Make Your Own Gear: Five Yards to SuperUltraLight
    Part 1, Introduction in the same articles section.

>>The use of a catenary curve for the tarp left more fabric for the other smaller pieces in this project. I took advantage of this by extending the size of the foot-end overhang and increasing the width of the stuff sack and the pack’s side panel pocket<<

It has been my experience that there is a problem with the size of the rear tarp overhang pieces. They are to be cut out as right triangles 8 x 30 inches. My high school geometry tells me that the long side of these right triangles will only work out to 31.05". The foot ends of the main body of the tarp are shown as 33". Both the rear overhang and the tarp body use the same felled seam method of joining their respective halves.

Simply put the tarp body is going to be wider at the foot end than the longest sides added together of the rear tarp overhangs.

>>It’s like putting together a jigsaw puzzle, only you have the option to resize the pieces if necessary to make things fit<<

Carefully check out all of the measurements before you mark and cut that nice expensive cuben fiber. Check three times, measure twice and cut once. :-)

Pay attention to the modification of the rear tarp overhangs that Jay mentions in the Part 3 – Tarp article.

>>This is the most difficult seam to sew in this project, because it’s hard to sew the felled seam around the apex’s corner. You might need to add a small pleat (which can be tucked under the center seam) as you sew around this corner.<<

The above quote refers to sewing the felled seam at both ends of the tarp body that join the overhangs at each end to the main tarp body.

Are you sewing, bonding/gluing or taping your seams? Will you be using a catenary curve on your ridgeline? If so follow this link below to a catenary curve calculator spreadsheet.

cat curve calc

FWIW I found that the front overhang was a little long and low. I am considering installing a waterproof zipper in the front overhang to ease entry and exit.

Good luck on your project! Post pictures of the finished project! Give us a field test report after your first trip! :-)

Party On ! 2010

Newton

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Hey Ben,

It seems there are many ways to work with cuben fiber. Steve Evans is a BPL member and he has a great website suluk46.com with tutorials on gear and currently has a great 2 part video on making a cuben solo tarp that he uses. Just a thought since you're looking.

Steve Evans Cuben Tarp video tutorial Part 1 & Part 2

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools