Topic

Water bottles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Water bottles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Locale: The Netherlands

While hiking i hate to take my pack of my back. Curently i use a 1,5 liter platy in my pack, which means that every two to three hours i have to take my pack of to refill.

I’m trying to get my pack system to a set up where i only have totake off my pack twice a day. I don the pack when i start hiking than i will take it off at lunch, when i actualy sit down than don the pack again and take it off again when making camp.

I’m thinking about making straps to the shoulderstarps of my backpack like the Golite Team pack has:

http://www.golitestore.com/store/NS_proddetail.asp?number=PA5212

So i’m looking for two 0,75 liter (52,5 fl oz) waterbottles which are as light as possible, preferably same weight as 1,5 liter platy + hose. And which has the same notch in the bottle like the waterbottles in the picture of that Golite Race pack have.

Anyone now some lightweight bottles?

Eins

Ian Rae
    BPL Member

@iancrae

Locale: North Cascades

Those sure look like bike bottles. Bikers are notorious for wanting lightweight gear. Check out a good shop selling road bikes, and they should set you up with the lightest bottle possible.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/User_tips?zip=01760&country=US

Scroll down to water bottle holders.

Mandatorygear.com has instructions for making the shoulder strap holders too.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Eins, from your other posts I assume you are in the UK. In the US, we get a lot of bottled water in plastic bottles of every size and shape, with several shaped like bike bottles with the retaining grooves and with bike bottle style pop-up valves.

I assume you have some bottled water or soft drinks in plastic. Many thu-hikers use them for long distance trips. They hold up very well and they can be very light.

A one liter bottle like the one pictured is 1.9oz/55g. I rummaged through my hiking kichen box and compared two 24oz/700ml bike bottles: one was 3.2oz/90g and the other was 1.9oz/55g. I didn’t check the diameter but it looks like the bike bottles have the groove centered at roughly 5.5″/140mm from the bottom. There are dozens if not hundreds of bike bottles on the market. Search the web for “promotional bike bottle” and you’ll find all kinds.

Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Firstly: this is what i meant:

http://www.gossamergear.com/gossamergear/images/water_bottles.jpg

thanx 4 that John

And nope Dale, I’m 100% dutch. But Scotland is only 1:15 hours away with easyjet so i go there when i can. Hiking in holland suck cause we don’t have mountains and those are an important part of where i want to hike. I also tend to go to Belgium a lot cause thats relatively close. I’ll try googling for that. Didin’t think it would be that easy.

Thanx, Eins

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Not really answering your question, but I imagine there must be dozens of bottles to choose from in any supermarket — be it Holland, Scotland or England??? And I think almost all bottles have some sort of grooves, right?

If I were you, I would just install the bottle holders (two elastic cords like the ones found in tent poles, plus two cord locks for each shoulder strap), then go for a walk in your local supermarkets and try out different bottles.

Bryant Haley

@mwscout

You may want to give one of these a try.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqSection.jsp?sid=EquipWaterbottles

None of these appear to be in the exact capacity that you are looking for, but they are very durable water bottles and reasonably light weight (not ultralight). Be careful when choosing bottles that are to light as the shock cord straps that hold them in place will crush them.

Just my 2 cents.

Bryant

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Einstein X, I use the .75 liter Propel bottles shown on the Gossamer Gear site. Weight for a pair is 3.4 oz., about the same as your platy+hose set up. In well watered country, I may substitute the .5 liter Propel bottles, 2.9 oz. a pair. I tried going lighter but found that the very light bottles were too easily crushed by the shock cord, as Bryant mentioned. Look for bottles with at least two deep grooves in them. If you can’t find any, one deep groove will work. Just hook the top shock cord under the lip just below the cap. Wider mouth bottles are good for easy filling and gulping.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

True story– a friend who knew we had travelled to Europe asked if we had ever been in the Dutch Alps. I said, yes, we went skiing there, but the lines for the ski lifts were really long :)

Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Dondo, sounds like the bottles i’m looking for, though i can;t find then at gossamer. Do you have a link for me?

Thnx Eins

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Gossamer Gear doesn’t sell propel water bottles. They are in grocery stores.

http://www.propelfitnesswater.com

They must be made by Gatorade. Gatorade bottles will work too. The newer bottles have a different shape from their past bottles.

Go to your grocery store and see what is available.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools