Topic

GG Polycryo backpack? tarp? why not?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear GG Polycryo backpack? tarp? why not?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Michael Demchak

@mikey

Locale: new england

This might have been covered before, but has anyone tried to use the Polycryo Ground Cloths from gossamergear.com for uses other then a ground cloth. the large size uses a precision cast polyvinylchloride that weighs .9 oz/sq yard. the small size uses a polyolefin film that weighs .55 oz/sq yard. has anyone tried to make a tarp or backpack or something out of this stuff? I’ve used the large size for a ground sheet and i was impressed by the durability and strength, i didnt try to sew with it, because i ended up loosing it :(. the only reason i can see this stuff failing is when you puncture it, it tears easier being that there is no ripstop pattern or anything. but i found it was pretty hard to puncture. anyway its certainly cheap enough, but i was woundering if anyone could save me some time and money, and just saying how horrible of an idea it is.
    thanks!
    mike!

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

interesting idea, I would not recomend trying to sew it. But there have been quite a few posts on this site talking about taping cuben fiber with some GM tape. I Dont see why it would not work for this. except, when you have to attach webbing to the polycro, for guy outs, and shoulder strap adjustment straps, that may be a little tricky. But mabey if you re-enforced those areas with cuben you could sew through?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

You might be able to glue something together. I wouldn’t go any further than a stuff sack– if it gets a hole under stress, it will split. You might as well us freezer grade zip locks.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools