Topic

Ideas for a low cost 20-30 degree (down) quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ideas for a low cost 20-30 degree (down) quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

So far I've seen the golite ultra 20. Any others? I want to give a quilt a try to see how I like it. I'm a side sleeper, so I think I may end up liking it more than my mummy bag I have right now. For use in SoCal and the Sierras.

James Naphas
    BPL Member

@naphas13

Locale: SoCal

JRB No Sniveler or Sierra Sniveler. $269.95 for either. They're probably 25F quilts. As a side sleeper I'd probably opt for the slightly wider Sierra Sniveler.

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

Ask in the great swap section. Someone is bound to have an inexpensive down quilt they can part with.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Roger Caffin did a good article on converting a mummy sleeping bag to a quilt. Given you are a novice quilt user, the extra width would be useful. I picked up a 4 season Marmot bag on U.S. ebay for $85. You could grab something similar, cut it down, and keep some of the down for another project.

Read up on handling down before you take the knife to it!

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Why not buy a kit from thru-hike and try making one yourself?

Cheers

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I really liked the thru hiker quilt from what I saw online. I've considered making it myself, but I read through the directions at thru hiker and was a little confused on some of the steps. I have no sewing skills and think the quilt is a little much for my first MYOG project. Maybe I could find someone to make the kit for me, although it would probably be easier to just buy one. I'd like to make my own at some point.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Jeffrey,

Are you interested in a down or synthetic insulation?

Thru Hiker has the materials for both. Sewing and filling baffles with down could be a challenging task for a first attempt at a MYOG quilt. A synthetic using Momentum 0.9 oz Ultralite Ripstop for the exterior, Momentum 0.9 oz Ultralite Taffeta for the interior (liner) and 3.7 oz Climashield Combat insulation could provide you with a @16oz. quilt that could be good to about 35 degrees.

Copy and paste the link below to your address bar.
    This is Tim Marshall's website.

http://enlightenedequipment.webs.com/prodigy.htm

On Tim's site he lists suggestions for sizes, approximations of temperature ratings of different insulations and has a downloadable quilt weight calculator for MS EXCEL.

MYOG is both challenging and satisfying. Warning! Once you start you'll be hooked on MYOG. :-)

Party On ! 2010

Newton

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I don't mind working with down and I would prefer it, since it will pack down smaller. In fact, the more I think about it, I'd really like to try the thru hiker quilt. But, for someone new to MYOG I feel like the thru hiker instructions I found online weren't detailed enough (for me) on the baffle construction to figure out how to construct the quilt. It may be that once I see the materials it would make more sense. Does anyone know if their kit includes instructions or if I could find instructions on the site here or elsewhere? I'll definitely check out Tim's website.

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools