Topic

Ensure

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Greg Lewis
    BPL Member

@gpl916

Locale: PNW

I went on an S24O the other day. I stopped by the store to pick up some Nido for a granola breakfast but they were out. I didn't want to dink around too much so I grabbed some ensure vanilla. I used it with the granola and it was pretty good. I am thinking about using it in the future for this purpose. I figure, for at least desert hiking, I either would have to carry the water to mix with it or the ensure. My question is- how long do you think it would last if opened and repackaged in a 1/2L platy? What about when it's 100F out?

Oh yeah, it gave me a 250 cal boost for breakfast!

Thanks for your input.
    gl

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi,

You can buy a dry form of Ensure. It comes in a can and has 14ounces of the dry Ensure in it. You mix it 1/2 cup to 6 ounces of water. I have used this hiking.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I would not use opened pre mixed ensure in high heat for very long. The protein will go bad plus warm ensure tastes nasty. Get the powder.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"plus warm ensure tastes nasty"

+1, emphatically!

All maltrodextrin drink products, when warm, are nasty. You might get the first one down, but I'd put money against the 2nd one.

Greg Lewis
    BPL Member

@gpl916

Locale: PNW

Thanks, I guess I didn't even think about a powdered form. I will give that a try on the next trip. Between the ensure/ granola and the probars, I never got hungry until late (6pm'ish) in the day.

Bill, what's the white pouch in the lower right?

Greg

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools