Topic

Summer/3 Season-ish Gear List V.2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Summer/3 Season-ish Gear List V.2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Justin Tremlin

@notu

Locale: Central Washington

I made some changes to my list. Let me know what you think.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/forums/gear_lists/30475e643b8aa197635f19b0da45672d.pdf

JSYK: The colorful boxes in the middle are the color of the gear. The boxes on the left side are what bag it is in.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Justin,

Actually a nice gear list!!

A GG Murmur weighs 6.8 oz in without some of the extras and is same capacity as your ArcTeryx.
    – Savings = almost 11 oz.

I don't like the Z-Lite pads because they are difficult to pack. I would use a GG NightLight Torso pad and use it as the back pad in the Murmur also. Weight = 3.5 oz.
    – Savings = 5.5 oz.

Since you are in Washington, bug shelter is needed. Good shelter system. Have you over stated the weight for a solo cuben tarp, or are you including the guylines?

You could save a little by using tablets for water purification.

Too many fire starters. Just take the BIC
    – savings = .5 oz.

Arc'teryx Atom LT. Replace with Montbell Ex UL Down Jacket @ 6.1 oz.
    – Savings = 6.6 oz.

First aid kit seems kind of robust. Could save an ounce.

Looks like you are packing a spare shirt and spare Capilene underwear. Not needed.
    – savings = 6.6 oz.

Total savings = 30.7 oz. Almost two pounds.

Also, it looks like your are an organizational type with all those suff sacks, plus the pack liner. Additional weight savings here. It takes time to change. For many years I used a Kelty external frame pack with 7 large exterior pockets. It takes time, but can be done.

Justin Tremlin

@notu

Q: Have you over stated the weight for a solo cuben tarp, or are you including the guylines?

A: Yes. I'm using Kelty Trip Tease. May switch to Air Core Nano when I get better at settng up the tarp.

"First aid kit seems kind of robust. Could save an ounce."

Q: What would you remove?

"it looks like your are an organizational type with all those suff sacks"

Q: What sack(s) would you remove? And yes your right I am the "organizational type", I have OCPD.

The underwear stays. Just the though of one pair of underwear for two days makes me feal ill. Good idea though.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Justin,

I have 4 "sacks"
    – Pack Liner
    – Small cuben sack for 1st aid
    – Small cuben sack for small items
    – Cuben food sack or other in bear country

First aid kit in cuben sack (.6 oz)
    – small roll Leukotape
    – 3 bandaids
    – 2 antibiotic ointment packets
    – 2 cut/scrapes towelettes
    – 10 Advil
    – 2 2" X 2" gauze pads

The only first aid I have ever needed:
    – blister treatment
    – burnt fingers from cooking
    – scrapes from minor slips or brush encounters (just wash it with water)
    – Catus injuries (pull out spines)
    – minor aches and pains (Advil)

Misc cuben sack (~ 2 oz varies with trip)
    – Dr Bronners in BPL mini bottle
    – REI Jungle Juice in BPL mini bottle
    – Toothpaste dots or Dr Bronners
    – Finger tooth brush
    – Toilet paper
    – Micropur tablets
    – Book matches or mini BIC or Light My Fire Stick
    – small roll duct tape

You might want to take a peek at my gear list from a trip I did last year.

Justin Tremlin

@notu

Thank You.

This may be knit-picking, but are your 10 Advil just rolling around the cuban stuff sack with the guaze pads?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

They are in a little plastic envelope that some screws came in. Won't register on my digital scale.

Justin Tremlin

@notu

I looked over your suggestions and have made a few changes.

Things I changed: 1. I took some things out of my First-Aid (took about an ounce out of it). 2. Removed some more stuff sacks and baggies (I’ve left the stuff sack for my quilt till I get comfortable with it). 3. Paired down my fire starters to a Mini Bic.

Things that will change: 1. I will replace my jacket when I have money and find one that fits me. I’m 6ft but have a 28in inseam (I am all torso). 2. I will look into the GG NightLight Torso pad. I have a feeling it will be too short for my torso.

A few things I kept: 1. The Arcteryx backpack, I would destroy anything made from lighter material in a few trips. I am constantly catching my pack on branches and I hike off trail a lot. This is as light as I dare go. 2. The spare shirt and underwear, for reasons stated earlier (I’ll think about the shirt but I doubt I can give it up).

Thank you again for your help.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

As far as the length of your sleeping pad, you could just ADD some extra length by gluing a section of foam pad to your existing pad.

Don't be burdened by what is on the shelf – you should make something to exactly fit your needs!

Justin Tremlin

@notu

I took a look at the GG Nightlite pad. Here is the discussion that followed.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=31281

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools