Topic

high calorie oatmeat

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition high calorie oatmeat

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ross erickson

@themaestro

Locale: colorado

anybody have some great high calorie powerhouse oatmeal recipes???
    peace
    .maestro.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Bob's Red Mill steel cut oats or 5 grain cereal.

Add nido, crushed pecans, brown sugar, cinnamon, and blueberries. Peanut butter adds a tremendous caloric boost, of course.

Truly delicious and packed full of good hiking food.

What animal does "oatmeat" come from? :)

Trevor Shrade
    BPL Member

@trevman3205

Locale: Wisconsin

One of my favorite breakfasts can be found here. All credit goes to SectionHiker.

ross erickson

@themaestro

Locale: colorado

thanks for the recipe todd. i never thought of adding peanut butter for the boost! great tip!

i dont eat oatmeal for breakfast but instead for dinner. i do it freezer bag cooking style. nice warm thick dinner and easy to make and eat. not to mention its great after a long 30 mile day!

normally i use about 4 or 5 packs of the quaker oats apples and cinnamon, maple and brown sugar, or cinnamon roll. but to save money i figure i can buy quaker oats in bulk and make my own concoctions. now i use the oats, raisins, brown sugar and powdered milk. pretty simple. id like to make it a little more elaborate!

anybody else out there have some crazy recipes?
    peace
    .maestro.

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Bill McCartney has a recipe for Hang Dog in his "Travel Light – Eat Heavy" book, now back in print. It about blew my head off:
    2 packages instant oatmeal (or 1/2 C instant oatmeal)
    1/2 cup banana chips (or other dried fruit)
    1/2 cup chocolate chips (I'm serious, and so was Bill)
    1-1/4 cup almost boiling water

I also added 1/4 ts cinnamon and 2 TB brown sugar.

Mix all in a freezerbag.

1/2 C chocolate chips has 420 calories according to one calculation. Plus the calories from the oatmeal and fruit.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I like to add a scoop of dark chocolate protein powder to mine.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Add molasses for color, for calories, and for flavor. If you need only a little bit, then fill up a plastic soda straw with molasses with the ends sealed. That will keep for a while.
    –B.G.–

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I have a couple on my website – which I'd cut n' paste if I didn't have a sleeping baby in my arm ;-)

Add nuts, dry milk and nut butter!

JM Addleman
    Spectator

@jaddleman

Locale: Eastern Sierra

Wheat germ and flaxseeds (or any seeds) are also real good. If you don't want the processed sugars, you could dehydrate honey, molasses, or maple syrup. At home, I also like to mix it up by using rolled rye, cracked wheat and dehydrated cooked quinoa along with the rolled oats.

Also, someone mentioned steel cut oats. I love me some steel-cut, but I don't think they would cook very well FBC style. They take awhile, but you could soak them overnight if you wanted to use them. They've got a great texture compared to rolled oats.

PS: I just found out about Powdered Butter! It's 8 calories a gram! 220 per ounce!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools