Topic

rain shorts? …possible or just plain stupid?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique rain shorts? …possible or just plain stupid?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Why do I like my rain knickers?

In the summer it's usually warm enough to pack superlight, minus the pesky tstorms that roll through brutally. These are usually windy, rainy and often hail up high but short. I carry a super light rain system that is easy to put on, quick to dry and keeps me warm enough without any extra clothing.

MLD mitts (1oz) keeps my leather palmed gloves dry when I'm biking or my liner gloves dry when hiking. Doubles as stuff sacks so no real reason to leave them behind.

NF DIAD rainjacket (6.1oz) full zip quick to throw on with hood to keep torso dry and warm. No need for any additional layers in the pack usually, just rain jacket and light puffy if bivy/overnighting. full zip and pit zips make a wind shirt usually superfluous for me.

Golite Reed Knickers (3.7oz) Tiny and I don't have to take my shoes off to put them on or take them off even with size 12 feet. Light enough to carry all the time and packs to mini soda can size. When it rains I can keep my bottom layers dry and the below the knee length keeps everything pretty dry and warm but my feet. Shins are pretty resistant to cold temperatures in a summer setting. I can "sag" the rain pants for really windy/downhill conditions if necessary. Feet get mid weight wool sox and fast drying shoes. The open bottom of the rain pants lets some extra air pump out as the rain stops to dry it all off faster and a quick stop to pull them off once they're dry and I'm good. A longish rain skirt might also do the same thing but the pants are more functional when cycling and I bought them super cheap. Plus the rain pants really do nicely in towns to avoid unnecessary attention/stares or if doing laundry on a long trip. I hacked my reeds off with scissors and was done. No sewing or sealing or anything. They've held up remarkably well for the beating I've given them. A few rips at the very bottom of the legs are starting but easily tape patched.

After this season my full raingear might need an update and replacement but it's been used hard, stuffed repeatedly and never let me down so far and I'm on season 4 I think? The full weight is ligher than many peoples jackets and it's been much more durable than the tyvek or driducks material I've tried.

All this might not apply to a constantly rainy environment but for summer type fast storms it works wonderfully.

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

I think a rain skirt would be a better alternative to rain shorts. I use the ULA Rain Wrap. Mine weighs in at exactly 3 oz. It provides better ventilation than rain shorts and is multi-purpose. I use mine as a groundsheet to protect the cuben bottom of my bivy.

-Sid

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools