Topic

New Tarptent (not the Rainbow)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Tarptent (not the Rainbow)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

This is a “new” creation from Mr. Henry Shires.
    Just for some fun see if you can guess:

The name of the tent
    The combined weight for the tent and the model
    ( OK Tent only, the model keeps changing his specs)
    The type of fabric used

The first one to guess all 3 will be named ” Tarptent Expert”
    ( That should get you going)

There is no trick, by the way. The tent is almost ready and will be announced very soon.
    The ones that have the details already, I know who you are……… are not eligible.
    ( This include the family and relatives of the model)
    Franco
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Is this the rumored Spinnaker version of the Squall?
    I’m too lazy to figure out the rest of the puzzle for a mere title. But throw in a 25 oz. Squall Classic and I could be persuaded.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Looks great, but that is one expensive diaper cover :)

It does pay to start travelling and camping with your kids when they are babies. There’s nothing like opening the tent and watching a deer walk by and seeing the awe in their eyes.

Or a wallaby…. do you have deer in Oz?

Patrick Baker

@wildman

RainBurst

26 oz

Epic

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Oh dear, oh dear.
    Yes we do have them. Imported of course,like foxes,buffalos,cane toads,camels (dromedaries if humps are important to you) and Bush style politics

David Wills

@willspower3

Ill go with ‘7×9 tarp’ spinnaker 17 oz with floor. I like the simplicity of the design, very similar to the original tarp tent, which in my opinion hasn’t been improved on by shires (18 oz original vs 22-35 oz now).

Jeremy McDaniel

@jerm409

Locale: highest privy in the lower 48

i saw this at trail days in damascus, gossamer gear had it in their booth. it was a squall classic made of spinnaker cloth. to bad i forgot the weight and the name. they also had the heavier duty mariposa as well.

Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

Jeremy writes:

>> Gossamer Gear…Trail Days…

Poached from Gossamer Gear’s website:

“May 19-21, 2006:Trail Days – Damascus, Virginia
    Grant will be exhibiting and selling the latest in Ultralight Gear from Gossamer Gear as well as old favorites. See the new Mariposa Plus, which features the original Mariposa constructed with 2.2 oz. ripstop nylon. Also see the new Squall Classic, a 25 oz. fully enclosed 2 person shelter based on the original Squall Tarptent design from Henry Shires.”

As it’s a GG product, I agree with Dondo, Jeremy, and David that it’s probably made out of Spinnaker Cloth.

Cheers,

-Mike

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

“Oh dear, oh dear.
    Yes we do have them. Imported of course,like foxes,buffalos,cane toads,camels (dromedaries if humps are important to you) and Bush style politics”

The imported species are a problem in the States too, and I’m really sorry about the politics– somewhere deep in Texas, a village is missing its idiot :)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Hi Mike, you are the first to come up with all the three answers. Congratulations, you are now a Tarptent expert ( great for your CV).
    There is a lengthy podcast with Henry Shires at http://www.practicalbackpacking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500 with all the details. ( Great job Reality)
    Hi Dale, we are not alone.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Franco, i think someone needs to be a registered member in good standing to access the URL you provided. I get some kind of login/registration webpage when i attempt to access the webpage indicated in the URL that you provided.

Jeremy McDaniel

@jerm409

Locale: highest privy in the lower 48

paul, try this http://www.practicalbackpacking.com/blog/ there us also an interview with brian frankle of ula, squeaky, and sarbar of freezerbag cooking fame.

mike, glad i could point you in the right direction to claim your status of tt expert.

Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

Jeremy writes:

>> mike, glad i could point you in the right direction to claim your status of tt expert.

Jeremy, I’d like to share the newly bestowed honor with you, as I stood on your shoulders to grab the ring. :-)

-Mike

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Paul:

You are correct — but you ARE a member in good standing! I don’t know what’s wrong with your user ID/password combination — and neither does Reality (he said he looked but couldn’t detect anything wrong from his end).

Please email me if you are on the computer, and I’ll get you a temporary password (which you can then access and change to a permanent one).

paul johnson

@pj

No need. I can still get to PBF from one of my computers at work before hours or during lunch – if i’m still there at work come lunch time (i never will log out there, fearing the same result as from my laptop). Thanks again though.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Oh my, to live in such fear… I feel for you, old buddy! :)

Scott Ashdown

@waterloggedwellies

Locale: United Kingdom

Franco Darioli wrote “Yes we do have them. Imported of course,like foxes,buffalos,cane toads,camels (dromedaries if humps are important to you) and Bush style politics”

Franco, humps are important!!! Humps is the plural of hump and if there is more than one of them, i.e. two humps its a Bacterian camel. Dromedaries only have one hump!!!!

Regards

Scott :-)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Scott you are correct, that is why I added that bit. What is commonly referred to here in Aussie as a camel (the family name) is in fact a dromedary (camelus dromedarium). We have according to various estimates ( dromedaries refuse to partecipate in our census) between 50,000 and 500,000 of them. Dromedaries are known to prefer tarps over tents.

paul johnson

@pj

Don’t personally know much about bactrian camels, but have had very minor contact with dromedaries. Many years ago, the day after my son rode one at the Bronx Zoo, one of the dromedaries killed the teenage boy who was leading him for the rides with the little kiddies. Guess they can get nasty at times and are large enough and powerful enough to do some real damage. Opposable thumbs, brains, and weapons is why man rules over the animals – take away any one of them and it would be a different story.

Scott Ashdown

@waterloggedwellies

Locale: United Kingdom

Franco, I had no idea that Australia had so many camels! In fact, I hadn’t even realised there were camels in the wild in Australia until your post, let alone camels that prefer tarps!!!!

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

OK, you’ve been warned ….

In fact, I hadn’t even realised there were camels in the wild in Australia until your post, let alone camels that prefer tarps!!!!

you should have known, after all …. we all know what happens when camels get their nose (down) under a tarp!

Grant Sible

@grantsible

Yep, it’s the Squall Classic. 25 oz including stakes (4), line, stuff sac, rear hoop pole. The weight does NOT include the front pole as most folks will be using a trekking pole, although we will be offering one as an option. Spinnaker top, sil bathtub floor, and it will be available as soon as the rear poles get here, and they’ve been shipped. We had 3-4 inches of rain friday night at Trail Days and its occupant stayed quite dry.

Anonymous

Is the bathtub floor removable?

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

> is the bathtub floor removable?

No, the floor is sewn to the netting on 3 sides with a zipper to connect the floor to the door.

-H

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools