Topic

Personal message.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    bryan hamilton

@wookie

How in the hell do i view my personal messages? im so lost

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

They get sent to your email, assuming you have it set up.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

There is no way to view your PMs through the BPL site is there? It seems that once you delete the email then the PM is gone forever.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Nope. BPL site does not store any of your PM's — coming or going.

And when you reply to a PM and you want to save a copy, make sure to copy and paste it to "somewhere" before you hit the send button.

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

I keep all my PM emails that are sent as you can go back to them at any time.

Just as a test I called one up from January and it is still accessible,

Cheers
    Mark

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Thats incoming PM's only, to clarify.

Cheers

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Mark:

The only way to save our sent PM's for later retrieval is by manually copying and pasting to some other application (e.g. MS Word). There's nothing within BPL where we can save our PMs — received or sent.

EDIT: Just read's Mark's clarification. Yes, incoming PM's reside in your own particular email application. Absolutely nothing to do with BPL.

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Ben,

Incoming don't reside on your email app, outlook as an example, that is simply the notification is there is a PM.

The PM itself must be stored within BPL for the whole thing to work.

Cheers

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Actually, no. The PM is delivered to your email address as text email. You read it like you would an email from your friends. Contained within that email is a link which clicking, brings up a BPL page for you to type in your reply. Your reply is then sent back to the other party as an email. The messages going either way are not retained within BPL — or at least not accessible by any of us.

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Or it looks like the notification email is simply responding to a user account rather than the message.

As an example if I retain a notification from Ben, and respond all it is doing is creating a 'new' Pm to Ben. That sounds more plausible,

Either way, retain the PM notifications and you can contact the person anytime.

Cheers

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"Either way, retain the PM notifications and you can contact the person anytime."

True, but having no historical record of your own replies can really make it awkward sometimes! When I am selling gear and different people ask me for discounts or for mailing charges to different countries… if I am not careful to manually copy/paste/retain my responses — I forget what quotes I gave to whom!!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Ben,
    As you mentioned – copy and paste into Word.

I capture both sides of the dialogue for each transaction. That has saved me from myself more than once. Then, when everybody is happy, I trash the document.

A little clumsy, but worth the effort.

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Speaking of messaging, you should see some of the crazy things they are doing over at Google. Their 'wave' product looks very exciting.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I've heard of Google 'wave', 'buzz'… but don't really know much about any of them. Yeah, prolly time to click over for a look see. Thanks.

Matthew Roberts

@matthewjamesroberts

Locale: San Fernando Valley

Just learned this. Thanks for the post. I was looking around BPL for a while before I googled my question and found this thread.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools