Topic

Cutting Straps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cutting Straps

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Nick –

@byproxy

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I need to trim some straps on some of my gear… wondered if anyone had any tips on how to get a clean edge. Taking a lighter to the cut end of webbing never results in a clean edge.

Thanks!

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

I have cut my straps on my Vapor Trail. Use a sharp fabric scissors and cut at 45 degrees to the length of the webbing. Then you need to fuse (i.e. melt) the edge. Use a lighter and hold the webbing horizontal to the ground and quickly go over the top and bottom of the webbing. You don't need to do it very long.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Use a hot knife.

–B.G.–

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

Go to your outfitter and ask to borrow the hot knife they use to cut poly rope. Works like a charm and will start an interesting conversation guaranteed.

Don Meredith

lightpack.blogspot.com

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Superglue, then cut.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Don't hold the lighter so close. Hold it an 1" to 1.5" away and everything will happen much slower so it's easier to get a smooth edge.

Nick –

@byproxy

Locale: Pacific Northwest

wound up getting a basic razor blade scraper and used my trusty microtorch to heat up the blade before cutting each strap. worked perfectly!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools