Topic

MYOG: Aluminum Windscreen for Canister Stoves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable MYOG: Aluminum Windscreen for Canister Stoves

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

One of those silicone rubber bands to hold it on?

Cheers

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

How about simply overlapping the ends of the ti screen, punching/drilling matching small holes through each end, one near the top and one near the bottom. Then run a stiff rod through the holes(like a short piece of a coat hanger; I use 6AL-4V titanium wire, .062" diameter). That holds things together perfectly. The nice thing about this approach is that you can have different sets of holes, allowing you to increase or decrease the screen diameter for use with different pots.

Henk Smees
    BPL Member

@theflyingdutchman

Locale: Spanish Mountains

> Then run a stiff rod through the holes
    Doesn’t that leave a little bend in the screen?

I took this approach when I made my Alu screen; the same could be done with Ti, I suppose.
    Closing Alu Screen

lewis riddlesworth

@lewisriddlesworth

mines just coiled tight so it grips the pot without any need for a clip (",) it weighs 28g and 40g with 2 Ti pegs to make the 'wood burner'Shield

Chris Quinn
    BPL Member

@cquinn

Locale: North Queensland

For Joseph and others concerned about scratching non stick surfaces – a fellow walker stores his (heavier, non ventilated) version around the outside of his pot.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Nice jobs: Here is another solution and alternative to the aluminum foil which doesn't last long. Be sure to allow enough ventilation. The flame can be stifled which is why my alternative has a shield only on the windward side.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/138113519qFGLOd?start=12

Jacques de Plume
    BPL Member

@lfone

Old topic, but here's my version. More pictures and a pdf for making your own can be found here:

http://hikingadvisor.be/forum/topic/titanium-windscherm-voor-gasbranders/

windscreen

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

There is no gap between canister and windscreen, and between pot and windscreen.

Does the flame burn good? Does the canister overheat?

Big opening in front so maybe it doesn't matter. Probably better wind protection.

Jacques de Plume
    BPL Member

@lfone

The flame burns well. In the picture the screen is close against the pot but when using it there will be a small gap most of the time.

When I started using this windscreen a couple of years ago I used a small heat reflecting disc on top of the canister (piece of foam with aluminium coating). I only used that disc a couple of times and it really isn't necessary.

I've now probably cooked more than a hundred meals without the disc and the canister hasn't overheated. But you can always add a small heat reflector just to be sure.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Here are some pics of a wind screen that I made. Tripod legs. Weighs 1.2 oz, though some of the overlap could be cut off for smaller pots and maybe holes in the legs to get it down to or maybe under 1oz. I left the overlap of circumference long for the larger pot. Not having it attached to the pot allows for ease of picking up the smaller pot and using it as a mug so I don't have to carry a cup for my morning tea. I can get about 10 days out of 4 oz of fuel.

al windscreen 1

al windscreen 2

al windscreen w sm pot

al windscreen w larger pot

Not sure if these pics made it as the upload process is strange….

Billy

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Here is the one I made using titanium:

YouTube video

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools