Topic

MLD Rain Mitts – Medium

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MLD Rain Mitts – Medium

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Curt O

@rockstrodka

Locale: Central Florida

Anybody have medium sized MLD Rain Mitts?

I received the large size from Ron and they are enormous. My thumb does not fill the entire thumb space, even when wearing lightweight fleece gloves underneath.

I have average size hands (cannot palm a basketball, but big enough to play big "stretch" chords on the guitar) and plan on wearing thin wool liners underneath. I do not currently use trekking poles and do not anticipate using them for winter hikes.

Ron said that I can return and exchange for Mediums, but before I send them back, I wanted to poll the collective experience of BPL.

1. Are the mediums substantially smaller, or will they be fine for the average person?

2. Is there any reason why I would want larger mitts?

Thanks BPL!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

If I comfortably spread my hand across a ruler I get 9" from little finger tip to thumb tip.

I use a Large. There is a lot of 'extra' fabric.

However, with trekking poles or ski poles and light weight polypro gloves underneath, I do not jamb the thumb or fingers in the end of the mitts, or my knuckles against the back, so my digits stay a lot warmer.

You will notice a lot of heat loss if you have intimate contact with the shell. Especially without liner mitts or gloves.

YMMV.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I have the mediums and they seem pretty big to me, they just have that kind of cut.

Paul Elliott

@paulelliott

I'm at the top end of most medium sized gear and at the bottom of large size gear (I'm 6'1"), and I bought mediums and have been happy. I use lightweight windstopper fleece gloves under them as needed, and I suspect large would be overkill. Based on your description, my hands are probably of similar size to yours.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

I wear a medium size glove though I'm towards the top range of the size. But the medium size MLD mitts seem very roomy. I think they are cut big so you can layer them over other gloves. I know my lightweight fleece gloves have no trouble fitting inside them.

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

I have the size Medium and they're huge for me. Even with a liner glove they're still huge, so:

1. No, they're not substantially smaller, and will be more than fine for the average person.

2. If you want to wear three pair of gloves underneath them. Otherwise go for the Medium and be happy!

Curt O

@rockstrodka

Locale: Central Florida

Thanks for the input everyone, I decided to exchange for the Mediums

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools