Topic

MYOG tent #2 is finished

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG tent #2 is finished

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    >> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

This is the second MYOG tent I have made using the 20yds of sil-nylon I purchased from OWFINC. It is 110" long, 70" at its max width and 58" at the peak. Weight before seam sealing was just under 1.5 pounds including the pole, 6 MSR Needle stakes, a real floor, all lines and stuff sack. I was concerned with pack size so the pole was made into 5 sections. Using a bit of math I came up with the optimal cut length for each individual pole section. This minimized the overall pole length when stored. The top pole did not require an insert to attach another segment and the bottom pole has a 3/4" end tip. The 58" 5 segment pole ended up being as short as possible when broken down which is 13". The eyelets were aluminum so weight is next to nothing. I have one eyelet placed so the pole is perfectly vertical and another eyelet 5" offset if I need more usable interior space. I tried a 10" pole offset but it would require a much stiffer pole to work well. The bathtub floor is a single piece with 4" of no-see-um mesh attaching it to the main tent. Running the entire width of the floor is 3/4" grosgrain. This adds additional reinforcement to the eyelet area and makes for easier setup. If I stake out the 2 ends of the grosgrain I have a solid place for the pole to attach.

The tent is almost large enough for 2 people in a pinch. If I played with the pole placement it would probably work. For me and my gear it is pure luxury! I am 6'1" and the length is enough for me to stretch my arms and feet a fair amount. The high peak makes for more usable floor space as well as head room.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

That's a slick setup. Nice work. I'd love to see some pics of the inside.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Nice work!

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Nice!

Pls be sure to report back on how is does vis-a-vis condensation (request triggered by the recent discussion about the necessity of vents)

Also, would you be willing to add an inside pic of the pole attaching to the peak?

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Jim,

The pole has a rounded tip and the peak is reinforced with cordura. The pole does not attach in any way at the peak.

David Franzen
    Spectator

@dfranzen

Locale: Germany

of what material is your pole? And can you please add some pictures and maybe descriptions of how you join the 5 pole segments?
    Nice tent btw.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

This shelter looks really weather proof, but the pitch in the pictures looks like it would be prone to condensation issues.

I may be wrong though, as I can't tell from the pictures?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> the pitch in the pictures looks like it would be prone to condensation issues.
    Reckon! And how!
    But you could add some high vents maybe?

Cheers

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Its hard to tell from the picture but The front & back are about 8" off the ground and the sides are around 4". Between the floor & tent body is 4-8" of no-see-um mesh around the perimeter. I'm going to use it like this and add vents if needed. Adding a vent after that fact should be no problem. I may add some type of gear loft as well. The zipper is also exposed so I have been thinking about adding a flap to keep it leak free. I do have a bathtub floor after all but I don't like taking baths in my tent.

The pole is an Easton Nano Light from Quest Outfitters. It uses 3/16" shock cord, a dome end tip #4030 and grommet end tip #4038. The assembled 58" 5 segment pole weighs 2.5oz.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I'm only going by the pictures. The ventilation is probably fine.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

the nice thing about the high angle and ample space between the walls and floor is condensation should run off and out the mesh and not drip on the floor! I don't think small vents do very much and unless you have a big problem with condensation i'd say it looks good as is.

-Tim

Jason L

@jason_loose_arrow

Locale: Yosemite

It looks like a great tent!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools