Topic

Shells and shell materials

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Shells and shell materials

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

Like the folks weighing in on the Mica and other light shells, I'm trying to figure out my next purchase. So it would be good to collect the list of contenders and their specs. Here is a (fairly lame) start – please comment on and add to it:

Mountain Hardwear Quark: Conduit; 10oz. – $225

Patagonia M10: H2No; 10oz – $399

MontBell ThunderHead: GoreTex Pro&Paclite; 11.3 oz $298

AcrTeryx
    • Beta SL: Paclite; 11oz $250
    • Alpha SL: Paclite; 12oz $299

???Eddie Bauer – BC200: WeatherEdge Pro; 11oz $199

Marmot
    • Super Mica – MemBrain Strata – 8oz. $200
    • Nano – Paclite – 8oz $250

Rab Momentum – eVent – 12oz

Montane eVent and Entrant shells

Also, I'd like some help sorting out the key materials, so explanations (or links to explanations) of them and their essential differences would be great.

• Entrant (and its variations)
    • eVent
    • H2N0
    • GT Paclite
    • MemBrain
    • Conduit (and its variations)
    • Pertex (and its variations)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Maybe this will help you simplify. If you are interested in maximum breathability, just focus on eVent laminate — and forget all the rest. Why? Because eVent is directly venting even while it is 100% rainproof. MontBell's "breeze dry tec" laminate works similarly as well.

All the rest that you listed rely on an additional PU layer to maintain rainproofness — and suffer significant degradation in breathability as a result.

JM Addleman
    Spectator

@jaddleman

Locale: Eastern Sierra

nm Ben said it

Paul Elliott

@paulelliott

I have a Quark and use it as a rain and wind shell. I picked it up for a fall arctic trip to use over a base layer, which worked very well, and was constantly on me for all temps from 25-55 degrees.
    I've used eVent rain mitts (from MLD) and I'm basically happy with the material, but it appears to be more sensitive to abrasion than the quark material. I think I'd have more concerns over an eVent jacket shell than the quark, which honestly is already fragile enough. As for the mitts, when they do wear out, I'll buy another set from MLD without hesitation.
    If anyone has direct experience with an eVent jacket vs the Quark, I'd like to hear their opinion. I found the Quark to have great venting options that made it usable over a wide range of temperatures. It's definitely not material for bushwhacking, but for tundra and trails, it's been a good option for me.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools