Topic

Kookabay pads ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Kookabay pads ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

I had never heard of these pads until reading about them here recently. Can someone please tell me; are they down filled AND inflatable? Sorry to be thick headed but down fill in an inflatable pad is a new concept for me.

I'm currently on a Thermarest Prolite 3 48" pad. I'm looking for more comfort, meaning more padding under me primarily, more insulation would be welcomed as well (without significant increase in weight).

My wife is a on REI Trekker pad. Comfort is more important than weight to her but it would be nice to find her a lighter option as well so I'm wondering about these pads…

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

Bender will make just about anything you want as far as a pad or pillow. I have both a pad and 2 pillows and they are top notch workmanship.
    Mike

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Thanks to you both, I was just about to ask who or what Bender is. Can either of you just clarify for me if the pads are indeed inflatable down filled pads (as opposed to just inflatable, or just down filled?). I guess they can be custom made, I was just looking at the pads on the site.

As far as comfort, what mainstream products are they comparable to (if not better than)?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Jacob,
    I just got an inflatable down mat. Yes, it is inflatable, and there is down inside. Think of a Big Agnes Air Core, with a bunch of down feathers inside. You shouldn't really blow it up with air from your lungs because of the moisture in your breath, but the BA Pumphouse works really well for blowing it up.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

Jacob,

To answer your question, there is no down or other insulation inside of the pads that Bender sells on his website. If you want a down or synthetic insulated pad, you need to email him directly. I have both a down-insulated and a non-insulated pad, and they are both great!

– Ben

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Yes, Ben makes a good point. The down mats must be custom ordered.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Sounds good I will get in touch with him.

@Ben

How does the weight on your down filled vs. regular inflatable compare? As far as cushion goes, do you have any experience on Thermarest or BA pads to compare to?

Thanks again, everyone.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

Bender currently has three fabric available from a 30d, 70d, and 200d. In addition you can go no insulation, synthetic, or down. Add in the fact that you can get custom sizes and it is difficult to determine the weight.

I am moving from a 21oz Exped down mat short (48" x 20") and a 31oz Exped down mat reg (70"x20")with both rated an R5.9 and 2.8" thick. Bender is making me a 60"x24" that is rated to R6 and 3.5" thick and should come in at 21oz in the 70d (standard weight) material.

In my mind I get much more comfort for the same weight as the short Exped but if I had gone with a 60"x20" R5 pad in the 30d material, it would have come in around 14oz.

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Jacob I just got my Kooka Bay pad. It is 74x24x3-1/2, 70 D fabric down filled. It weighs 27 oz (765 g).

My Exped DownMat 9 (old style) is 70x20x3-1/2 and weighs 32.6 oz (924 g)

My Big Agnes Dual Core Mummy Long is 20x78x2-1/2 (mummy-shaped) and weighs 35.9 oz (1018 g)

Last, my BA Insulated Air Core rectangular long is 20x78x2-1/2 and weighs 26.3 oz (746 g)

I used it on snow with a quilt over me and was very warm.Kooka on snow

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Some great info provided here.

@John
    and Raymond
    Thanks for sharing the comparison vs. your other pads, that's helpful. That 3.5" thick pad looks more plush than my bed :)

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

I just fired off an email to Bender. Looking forward to hearing what he has to say.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools