Topic

Protecting pills and vitamins

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Protecting pills and vitamins

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

How do you protect your pills/vitamins – in a lightweight/low-bulk fashion that also maximizes the shelf life of the pill?

How long is the shelf life of a vitamin or a prescription pill, anyway? (Does it matter if it's in pill or capsule form?)

I've always just used ziplocks…but something tells me that will only work on very short trips. (I suspect the ziplock really does not protect the pills from moisture.)

??

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

All pills are different for shelf life.

I have some that are only good for three months once they've been exposed to air.

I wouldn't be afraid of a Ziplock bag. I wouldn't be afraid of the standard pill bottle either. If you are concerned, put one inside the other.

I've seen some hikers portion out a whole day's collection of pills and use a Seal-A-Meal to seal them into their own airtight compartment. That seems excessive to me.

–B.G.–

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I use Nalgene's polyethylene screw-top containers. They're both water- and air-proof. They come in all sizes, so you can use different ones for different trip lengths. You just need to remember which pills to take in the morning, and which at night. Or, you could take an "AM" bottle and a "PM" bottle. Heck, some of those bottles are so small that you could use a different one for each med. At home, I store my meds and vitamins in 2 oz. bottles, which hold over a month's worth of vitamin-sized pills.

My pharma buddy thinks most pills will have an effective shelf life of about a year, providing you keep them away from the demons of heat, moisture, and direct sunlight.

(edited for shelf life comment)

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Every pill has different temperature and humidity responses, which affect shelf life. For Prescriptions, there is a "use by date" printed on the pill container. For OTC, there is one printed on the box. Most last a year. This is also a conservative estimate, meant to protect consumers at the fringes.

I use a small BPL pill organizer I got from someone on here and it works well and is super lightweight. Wouldn't hold horsepills, and just use it for advil, stomach, and altitude medication if needed. If you put this in a stuff sack inside your dry sack inside your pack, it shouldn't get wet.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I use a cheap pill reminder box and carry it in a ziploc bag.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"cheap pill reminder box"

But aren't those for OLD people?? :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

"How do you protect your pills/vitamins – in a lightweight/low-bulk fashion that also maximizes the shelf life of the pill?"

For hard pills I use a very small Zip Loc baggie; for gelatin capsules I use a screw top pill vial, the ones sold here on BPL.

How long is the shelf life of a vitamin or a prescription pill, anyway? (Does it matter if it's in pill or capsule form?)

The expiration date for OTC, as mentioned is stamped on the package. Pharmacists routinely specify an expiration date of 1 year from date of filling Rx. However, I have had several docs tell me that most last at least 2 years and, if you really want to save money, ask the pharmacist at the time of filling to tell you the expiration date on the bulk container he's filling your Rx from. Example: I use Celebrex occasionally and it is a fairly pricey drug. The last 2 times I have asked the pharmacist, the actual expiration date has been more than 2 years out from filling date. Big savings given I only use perhaps 1/3 of the Rx in a year.

If you are really concerned about moisture, consider putting a dessicant packet in with your pills.

I've always just used ziplocks…but something tells me that will only work on very short trips. (I suspect the ziplock really does not protect the pills from moisture.)

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Yes Ben, they are fer old people….and people who are scatter brained. Lol!

As soon as I got one I haven't forgotten a pill since.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools