Topic

first attempts at tarp pitching

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion first attempts at tarp pitching

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    kevin smith

@divr6347

sil tarp 2sil tarp 2

jumpback jack and i messed around with this id siltarp 2 8×10 tarp just to see if we could pitch it keep in mind we know nothing about tarping but are getting started so we figured a test run was in order
    so far it seems to be a great tarp with a lot of different pitching
    options hopefully we will get it right before we use it on the trail any suggestions would be great
    kevin

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Looks like a good start.

Also consider using a 2nd set of poles to create a near vertical rear wall followed by roof supported at the front by the (lower) first set of poles. (8' wide x 10' for wall and roof)

You'll have a shelter tall enough to sit up in and wide enough to keep out most of the rain.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Nice. Looks like you got it nice and taunt. That is the secret. I use the A-frame set up most of the time.

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

Kevin, looks great. A nice tight pitch IS the secret. If it gets windy you will want to lower it to help shed wind (rear facing into the wind), and use as many guy out points as possible to help increase the shear load of the tarp material. Not only that, more guyouts help to reduce flapping that will drive you nuts on a windy night.

kevin smith

@divr6347

thanks for the replies guys i think it will be a good starter tarp for myself and my hiking partner

now to figure out what bivy to buy lol

kevin

Elena Lee
    BPL Member

@lenchik101

Locale: Pacific Northwest (USA)

I love the ID siltarp! we should make this post open to include all the different tarp pitch configurations. Have you tried the Mid yet (that's the one where the trek pole goes in the center?

One thing with this silnylon tarp is when it starts raining, its better to tighten it up after it has been soaked. it doesn't keep its initial tight pitch after the first 10-20 minutes of falling drops.

slept under this in rainy Washington about a month ago, it rained all night but i stayed dry.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

8' X 10' tarp. In most cases a bivy is not needed.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Hi this is the guy under the tarp. How do you set it up in the mid configuration, we tried but just couldn't get it right. Pics would help. Thanks Jack

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools